2 Windows XP Options at Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Baxter Stockman, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

During startup the computer Shows 2 options of "Windows XP Professional" & "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

And a countdown timer of 30 seconds. Both will boot to Windows just fine. Just really stupid and annoying.

It all started after doing this.
    Yeah yeah, stupid I know. Since it didn't fix it anyway. I ended up fixing it, and now I want to remove the second option.

It is NOT two partitions. Both will boot the same Windows, same files, same everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You only need to modify c:\boot.ini using Notepad, but to do so you need first to show hidden system files in Windows Explorer, and also to change the attribute of boot.ini to remove the hidden attribute.

You may be able to figure out which lines you need to remove but if you aren't sure just copy the text into a post and we'll advise.

3. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

Right. Ok. I was having a hard time finding the boot.ini. Its been awhile since I had it show system files, not just hidden files.

All better now. :)
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds