2 XP platforms at boot...how do I delete the old one?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DaveHolmberg, Dec 30, 2008.

1. DaveHolmberg

DaveHolmberg Private E-2

I built a system from pieces parts in my basement since my laptop died.

The largest hard drive I found (22 gig) already had windows xp pro installed but would not boot. I found a cd with windows xp pro 'unattended install' written on it. So I re-installed on a motherboard (J-Bond PCI-500C-Pa) with the 400 AMD k6. Found 3 64mb ram sticks...and there I went.

I now have a running system but at boot gives me two windows xp pro options, which the top one works.

I suspect this is slowing my system down (like it needs help). How do I remedy?

Thanks

2. RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC Private E-2

Format and reinstall windows.

3. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

go start - run type msconfig click the boot tab (or boot.ini on xp i tihnk...) select the extra operating system and delete it.

4. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

go start- run type msconfig and hit enter then go boot.ini tab select the other listed XP OS and delete it.

5. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

go start-run type msconfig and hit enter. Select the boot.ini tab and delete the extra XP OS

6. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

May just be an extra entry in the boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    c:\pclosboot.lnx="PCLinuxOS"

On the machine I am using now it looks like this. Windows XP Pro is the first operating system, PCLinuxOS is the second. The boot.ini file should be located on your C drive, but is hidden so you may need to make it visible in folder options on the Control Panel. If it is set as a read only file right click it and choose properties, and remove that check mark. I don't know which of the two Windows entries you should delete, (probably the second) and I doubt that is what is slowing your systems operation, although it sounds like you may have two operating systems installed on the same partition, and that is a problem and RuidosoPC hit the nail on the head.

7. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

could someone with the relevant powers delete 2 of my previous posts...(accidentally posted a number of times...) and i cant seem to edit them or delete them myself... sorry for offtopic

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds