20 pin PSU to 24 pin mainboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thripston, Jan 10, 2007.

1. thripston

thripston Private First Class

I have an ATX 550w JSP EZ Cool PSU. I want to get an ATX2 motherboard but I'll be plugging a 20 pin power supply into a 24 pin socket. Is this likely to cause problems?

(Excuse any poor terminology, I'm a bit of a novice.)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its been my experience that no, it will not.

However, download the manual of the motherboard you are thinking of buying and double check to see how they handle 20 pin PSUs.

3. Danny5

Danny5 Private E-2

It depends on your system.

The 24 pin was made to add extra juice to the motherboard due to the power requirements of the new power hungry graphics cards and CPU's.

I ran a 20 pin 420w Antec TP on my DFI/3200 X64/X800 setup. It did run, but any attempt to overclock would not work.

I upgraded to a Fortron 500w and I was able to overclock. I assume that the 20 pin was putting out just enough power on the 12v rail to run the PC, but nothing extra.

Moral of the story, the newer hardware needs more power. And it will depend on your system if it will run properly, or not.

4. thripston

Well I have no plans to overclock my new system. It'll still way outperform my current build on the basic settings.

No idea what exact board the guy at the store had in mind but it'll be running an AMD 3800 Athlon 64 and have 1gb DDR2 533 and an Nvidia 7300LE 256mb PCI card plugged into it so it'll be something compatable with all that.

5. Danny5

Danny5 Private E-2

Well, if you experience stability problems, then I think you have a pretty good idea of what may be the problem.

6. Mac70

Mac70 Private E-2

You can buy 20pin to 24pin adaptors for e few quid. My problem is the reverse.

7. Danny5

Danny5 Private E-2

From what I have read, there are mixed results with the 20-24 converters.

As I have said before, but perhaps have not gone into it in detail, it is a matter of the power consumption on the 12v rail that your PSU can supply.

If you are in question, read the differences between the older specifications and the new 2.0.

Buy hey, if you can get around it, then fine. But if your wondering if you have reboots, BOSDs, and poor performance, then you know.

8. thripston

Thanks for the tips. Seems I was worrying about nothing though. Turns out my PSU actually has 24 pins. Didn't realise 4 were seperate and plugged in to a different part of the board.

9. Danny5

Danny5 Private E-2

Yea, it does depend on the motherboard.

My DFI for example needs a 24 pin, along with the 4-pin, a molex, and a FDD. That is a lot of power connections that go the the motherboard.

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

If you have a MOBO that has a 24 pin Main, why would you even consider using a 20 pin PSU?

Good Luck :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds