200GB Hard Drive showing only 127GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The40, Jun 25, 2004.

1. The40

The40 Private E-2

I just installed a Western Digital 200GB Hard Drive with no partitions, just one massive lump of space. I installed XP Home and it only shows 127GB of space total though. To be sure I checked the properties of the drive as well as Computer Managment under Administrative Tools and have the same thing. Could this be an issue with my motherboard just not being capable of recognizing the amount of space? If so can I (and if so how) update the drivers for my motherboard.

I am not sure how to find out what kind of board I have... its the one that came with the Dell 4500 desktop I bought about 2 years ago.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

4. The40

The40 Private E-2

ahh yes, I thought that when I did the windows update it automatically installed SP1. It didnt.

5. The40

The40 Private E-2

ok, I guess it did intall SP1, I just thought it didnt because it re-intalled it when I went back. Nothing changed and I still have the same problem. I searched in the links provided from the thread Kodo linked to but didnt solve it either. Based on this quote I believe I need to update/edit the BIOS. Is that even possible? If so how?

6. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Use something like SiSoftware Sandra or Everest to find out what mainboard you have and post back.

7. The40

The40 Private E-2

This is the info I was able to obtain:

Mainboard
    Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
    MP Support : No
    Model : D845EPT2
    Version : AAA83422-106
    Serial Number : CN04P61548111266022D

There was a lot more, but I didnt know if it was needed. I will post if necessary.

8. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ept2/sb/CS-008766.htm

Under the question "Does the Desktop Board D845EPT2 support Ultra ATA/100 hard drives?", the FAQ says that yes, the mobo supports 48-bit LBA. Latest BIOS version is P08-0015, but the BIOS release notes never mention 48-bit LBA, so I suspect support has always been there.

Is the drive connected to the motherboard's IDE controller, or are you using a PCI add-on controller card? A lot of big HDD come with free controllers, and I've actually found that some of those controllers don't support 48-bit LBA (meaning that, yeah, they're worthless).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds