21 Usb Controllers..are All Needed? Can I Delete Any?

Discussion in 'Software' started by idreos, Aug 15, 2016.

1. idreos

idreos Private E-2

My Device Manager is showing 21 different USB port controllers See attached screen shot

I suspect some are from old USB devices once installed that I no longer use.

Can these listed USB controllers be causing a drain on the power needed to operate USB ports?

Is there any way to see if these controllers are redundant or actually still used?

Thanks for your help usb.png

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have 3 USB ports (it is a laptop) and 9 items listed.

How many USB ports are on your desktop? I'm guessing 8 because there are 8 different addresses partially showing for the 8 INTEL ICH10 items in the list. And 8 USB Root Hub items.

If it were my computer, I wouldn't touch them. There is nothing worse than finding out one or all of your USB ports are not functioning.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If a device isn't actually connected, no power is used. But, you're right. Some of the 21 may be devices that were previously connected. The OS won't need to re-install drivers for them if they're connected again.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

The constant accumulation of "in case its needed again" is why a fresh copy of Windows almost always runs better. Many programs leave droppings, almost all hardware leaves drivers and preferences. Eventually this builds up but it is a slow process and you don't notice it.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

They don't show up in Device manager.
    Here's my desktop's device manager

USB_Device_manager.jpg
    This computer has had between 36 and 48 different USB sticks connected, 2 USB card readers, and 6 portable external USB hard drives.

And USBDeview by Nirsoft, shows that as of today 71 USB devices have been connected to the computer. I can use Nirsoft's tool to clear the items from the list, if I wish.

Attached Files:

satrow likes this.
  6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It could be caused by a buggy Intel chipset install, perhaps no drivers have been installed and it's on stock Windows drivers? Have you ever updated the Intel chipset drivers?

What make/model# is the motherboard or the exact model of the PC/notebook? Which Windows version?

I'd ensure a regular data backup is made and have a wipe/reinstall Windows strategy ready, whatever it turns out to be.

Can you show us an alternative screenshot of Device Manager, View > Devices by connection - then expand each of the USB controllers fully?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds