2nd Tower sound problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CubanSpy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. CubanSpy

CubanSpy Private E-2

I have two towers that run alongside eachother via a KVM switch. However I need to know how sound from my second pc reaches the speakers. Now i know that may sound a bit silly, but is this acheived through the switch or do I have to purchase some sound card speaker jacks/cables. If this is indeed the case, how will this work without having to take speaker cables from pc one and putting them in pc 2.

If this is not necessary and should run theough the switcher, then I'm getting no sound.

Hope you understand. Many many thanks for your continued patience.

Regards

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I haven't seen any KVM switches capable of also switching sound.
    You would need separate switching from the output jack of each pc. this could be achieved with a simple common mixer available at many music/electronic/games shops.
    In principle it is possible to to listen to the DIGITAL output of the CD on one pc using speakers plugged into the other if bthe two pcs are connected by a crossover ethernet cable and home networking is set up on both.

Hope this helps

Studio T

3. CubanSpy

CubanSpy Private E-2

Thanks ST, so what will be the esiest way then, I'm not familiar with this mixer thing. How does this work. Will it mean I dont have to physically change the cables from 1 to 2.

Cheers

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I assume you are using the normal stereo ouput not the 5/7/9 channel super stuff.

The stereo 3.5mm socket on the back of the pc normally coded green, takes a 3.5mm or 1/8th inch stereo jack plug. This has three connections, one for each channel and earth.

In theory all you need is to switch both the channels, earth is not switched. So if you have a frien handy with a soldering iron you could make up a low cost switch box with a single double pole double throw (2way) switch and three 1/8th in jack sockets. These are not commercially available to my knowledge.

This was why I sugested the mixer. These are use by home audio and video recording enthusiasts, Small ones are cheaply and readily available battery or mains powered. You would need to confirm the input / output connections on the particular one you choose and get the appropriate cable to connect as many have RCA (phono) sockets for input and output. You would thus need a cable with jack on one end and phono on the other.

I don't know what country you are in but in the Uk you could go to Woolworths, Jessops, Dixon, Argos etc.

Studio T

5. CubanSpy

CubanSpy Private E-2

Ok i'll look into that.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Xtra thoughts
    You can also buy phono switching units which would be ok for the low powers encountered in pc speakers.

Studio T

7. CubanSpy

CubanSpy Private E-2

Yes i noticed them so have gone for one of those at less than £20 it should be exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Another satisfied geek.

Studio T logging off

9. CubanSpy

CubanSpy Private E-2

Well almost:D

Dont suppose you know why (i use outlook express for my emails) the little envelope alert on my bar at the bottom right, no longer appears. I get a sound but no envelope. I have tried looking at the settings and cant find out why this no longer happens.

If not I can live with it.

Regards

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Post in the software section please!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds