3 Blue Screens

Discussion in 'Software' started by dutch981, Jul 22, 2005.

1. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

I just started my computer and got 3 blue screens in a row

IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I've had the page fault error before, but the other two just started recently. I've also noticed that windows has been acting weird lately. Alot of the time at startup, I can't open any programs for like 2 or 3 minutes, I can browse through folders and look at pictured with the Picture and fax viewer, but everything else just hangs and then it all starts at once.

any clues?

Edit: I have Windows XP

2. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Try scanning for viruses before taking any more steps :)

3. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

I've done all that already. I ran memtest86 last week for 19 hours and no errors. I scanned for viruses the other day and nothing. This may help

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS
    1. Update BIOS if there is a new BIOS file for your computer.
    2. Update your Motherboard drivers.
    3. Remove your PCI cards, move them around to a different slot.

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS
    There are numerous causes of this. It will be difficult to pin down. Did you recently install new software or hardware? This error could be related to the first error.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    This also probably related to the first error.

Hardware, software installs could be the cause. You could also have a bad driver.

5. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

I checked the Dell website and there was a BIOS update so I installed it.

The only hardware I've installed is RAM, but memtest86 says there's no errors.

Which cards are PCI cards?

D3m3nt3d: Yea, I wasn't thinking when I started this new thread, sorry about that.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

7. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

The startup hang started before I got the ram, but I don't remember the blues screens until after.

Attached Files:

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

At the recovery console run chkdsk c: /f

Also your video drivers may be bad. Boot into safe mode and unistall your video drivers.

9. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

What's the recovery console?

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console to replace the boot sector

1.[font=&quot] Insert the Windows XP Professional Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. [/font]

2.[font=&quot] Restart the computer. If prompted to press a key to start the computer from the CD-ROM, press the appropriate key.[/font]

3.[font=&quot] When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Press the R key to repair a Windows XP Professional installation. [/font]

4.[font=&quot] If you are repairing a system that has more than one operating system installed, from the Recovery Console choose the Windows XP Professional installation that you need to repair. [/font]

5.[font=&quot] When prompted, type the Administrator password. If you do not have the correct password, or if the security database for the installation of Windows XP Professional that you are attempting to access is corrupted, Recovery Console does not allow access to the local disks and you cannot replace the boot sector. [/font]

6.[font=&quot] type chkdsk c: /f
    [/font]
    7. When chkdsk has completed type exit, and your system will reboot.

11. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

It won't let me do a chkdsk c: /f, it says I can do a /p or /r, but no /f. A few weeks ago I did a chkdsk /f from the Run program in the start menu, is that the same thing?

Also, I uninstalled my video driver, should I update it now?

12. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Update your video drivers, run chkdsk c: /f from Start -> Run; if it finds any problems run chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

13. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

no errors, and I downloaded and installed the drivers from the Dell site.

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

OK, had any Blue Screens lately? There is a good chance that your video drivers were causing the problem.

15. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

so far I haven't seen any, hopefully that took care of it. :)

What was it on the report that said the video drivers could be the problem?

16. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The report didn't tell me what was wrong, but what hardware your system has. I've noticed that most people are using ATI or nVida video cards when those particular BSOD errors occur; and when the drivers are uninstalled then reinstalled the problem goes away.

17. dutch981

dutch981 Private E-2

Oh.. cool. I'm glad you knew that. So far I haven't seen any blue screens except one because I installed the wrong driver and had to change it. Other then that it seems to be running fine.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

18. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Your welcome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds