3000+ temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goldfish, Jan 26, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hmm... ive got a Barton core AMD AthlonXP 3000+ in this rig now, runs at around 69C surfing and heavy downloading... and peaks around 75. Ive got one 80mm exhaust fan, and an Aero V copper heatsink, running at full pelt.

Somthing tells me this ISNT healthy.

2. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

that's cause it isn't goldy ;)

remove the hair from your AS3 layer between the cpu and hsf ;):D

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

lol... i dont even know if its actually there or not :p
    it would probably explain it if it was...

4. calcnerd

calcnerd Private E-2

75??? holy cow! get some more fans in that beast. my 3000+ stays at about 56 at max

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ah. Re-applied heat sink, following arctic silver instructions to the LETTER, temps are now around 62C on load. whee

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

62c is still really high.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Its not that high... what do you suggest i do to make it cooler? :/

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have no idea, me not being a cooling expert, but I overlcocked my 2500+ to that with the retail HSF and it ran a little cooler, and that was overclocked...

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well i am saturating it.. im running Bionc. My cooler isnt that bad! it got my 2000+ down to around 48C idling. im using AS 5. maybe i should try 3? Oh i dunno, ive got a massive great fan in there too for intake.. why no difference!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Im confused.

I ran my 2400+ at under 40c with a Volcano 6.

Sure your cooler isn't a dud?

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Now im totally confused. Its an Aero V... full copper heat sink, blower fan, adjustable speed knob turned up to the max....

12. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

try putting that intake into exhaust, the warm air probably doesn't have a lot of space to go to...

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ok, lets put this into context. Ambient room temperature 23.9C, Case ambient temp, 32C, processor more like 64C.

14. mudshot

mudshot Private First Class

I had similar temps with my 2800

The only way I found to cool it was by water

Having looked around it seems some run 40C whilst others are nearer 60C

Manufacturing tolerences a bit adrift, but then the likes of Dell and Time dont care if it overheats in a year

One thing you need is good airflow in and out of the case

15. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

*falls off swivel chair*
    I cant afford £200 worth of water cooling!!!!
    Well, its not overheating, im happy.

16. help

help Corporal

my 2000+ runs at 59 degress celcius. and ive been having no problems whatsoever.

17. MCSEGeek

MCSEGeek Private E-2

I have an XP 3000+ (400 fsb) currently at 2.3 Ghz. Right now while I'm typing this my CPU temp is 96F (35.5C) and at full load it MIGHT hit 102F (38.8C)

18. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

OK this is getting completley rediculous. When saturating my CPU (running Boinc) im REGULARLY getting over 70C unless ive got a desk fan sitting next to the back of my case. What on earth should i do?? maybe i should stick a fan on the side of the case... i wanna put a window in at some point maybe that what i should do.
    BTW mine is a 333 fsb, matching my ddr 333 ram.

19. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

MY Tbird 1.4Ghz 266 FSB stock....running 1.8 401 Mhz FSB :D:p 156F :eek::( hehehe :D .....

20. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

21. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Hi goldfish.
    I want to thankyou for all your help so far. I just bought a thermaltake 11+ for my 2400 and my temps are down to 33C idle and 41 load. One of my buddies has an tt 7+ on his 3000 and his temps are close to mine. He also has a moded case with 4 120mm fans though.

22. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Geez, Fishy,, my 3200+ oc'ed, with a volcano 7+ runs at 100% all day and night, and stays at 42 to 44 C. I have no side panels on my case though.

Something is not right there.

23. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

This is getting more and more worrying. Do you think it could be the thermal paste? its all applied correctly, well, more correctly than it was in the first place anyway, the fan should be FINE. considering it ran my 2000+ at about 42-50 tops. Maybe i just need to get a volcano... :( but i have little money, and ill need to wait at least a month before i can budget for it. Yes i know its only £17 or so, but im poor.

Maybe AS3 is a better bet than AS5?

24. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I am using as5.

25. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Sorry I can't add anything more constructive, but my AMD 2500+, running at 2.2Ghz, only gets up to about 60C under full load. And that's with the stock HSF.

Hopefully my new Volcano 9 and AS5 will drop that down around 42/52.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  26. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  27. calcnerd

calcnerd Private E-2

installed 2 more fans on my 3000+...down to 36c. not over 40 at load. i have a tornado right below my vid card, a side case fan & two others.

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its your cooler, sounds like a dud. its not operating at peak performance.

Your 2000+ with that cooler should have been much, much, cooler.

29. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I really dont understand how a big lump of copper can POSSIBLY go wrong. the fan works fine (it spins around...at the right speed and everything).

Im going to check up on that bios issue Abit has on their website about just this problem
    Oh, how useful the Abit website is down :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  30. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

maybe your temp reading are wrong? [​IMG]

31. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

You have an ABIT board...theres the problem. ABIT is notorous for having inaccurate temp readings, id say you could knock 10-20 degrees of that temp, to get an accurate reading. Which would make sense.
    Id say that theres no problem here, just the temp sensor isnt very good. If you buy a thermal probe to put next to the die, im willing to bet the temp will show lower.

32. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok.. thats somewhat re-assuring. The temps jump around like hell. One second its like 60, then its like 75. And they are still messing about with the BIOS update they SAY is going to fix it :rolleyes: how helpful.

33. ChrisC

IIRC, the ABIT sensor is really far away from the processor, so, it has to guess the temperature. It has to adjust for distance, ambient air temp (Which may not be accurate either), and air being blown down by the cpu/northbridge heatsink.
    And, it just plain dose a bad job (my roommate has 2 abit motherboards, for AMD and P4, and they both over-report the temps, as both our comps are in the windows and he has a bigger rad (watercooled, both of us), and his temps are higher by a fair bit when they should be comparable....which doesnt make sense).

1 person likes this.
  34. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah, the sensors MUST be crap, im OCing (below) and theres actually no change in the nature of the readings whatsoever.

Attached Files:

35. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Goldy, I'm running the same CPU, the same heatsink (I think; "Aero V" is the fan only. Aero 7 or 7+ should be the combo). Similar case/mobo temps, and idle around 45C, 54C max under full load. Only physical thing I can think of is if the main intake on the blower is pointed right toward an exhaust fan, which could be starving it for air. If so, pull the 4 screws & rotate it to a better direction (like pointing to the right, away from power supply and exhaust fan on rear of case). If you've got that right, and it's turning proper RPMs, your motherboard readings have to be bogus.

1 person likes this.
  36. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok, that clinches it, mobo must be talking crap to me. I'll look at the direction the intake is pointed at, but im pretty sure its from towards the center of the case.

Oh and yes it is a Aero 7+, had the hs/f combo.

37. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Just to add to this, my computer has never ever ever crashed/become unstable because of these "high" temperatures, which leads me even more to belive the readings are bogus

38. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Just to update, ive just decided to invest in a temperature sensor/readout (lian li temperature sensor, or somthing like that) so i can see how incrediably inacurate my motherboard readings are. When ive got it installed, ill update to put to shame my motherboard sensors!!

39. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok, now hows this for stupid. Ive got a temp sensor right next to the CPU, and its giving me around 45C (which sounds about normal for my setup) YET now ive reseated my heatsink (for yet another time) with Cool Master thermal paste (that came with the heatsink), my mobo is reading the temp at nearer 90C! and shutting the machine down if i leave it under load. (i used prime95 to test load conditions, it shut the system down after 30 seconds).

I dont get it!!

40. acejones

acejones A Different Title

hmmm...that is odd.

just throwing in my specs...i've got a Tt Volcano 7 on a 2200+ and it hasn't ever gone higher than 38C...even after gaming for a few hours.

41. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well.... hmm. I've just ordered some Ceramique. Hopefully that will give me better performance in far as cooling is concerned.

Oh yeah, and when running prime95 for a second time, I did get a hardware error so it must have been overheating, or somthing.

42. acejones

acejones A Different Title

did you get your hsf back on right?

43. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Pretty sure of it. I applied the paste according to general instructions, tinting the bottom of the heatsink first, then locking it into position exactly right. Was working fine before with the AS5... :( *sigh* i dont get it.

EDIT : Oh yeah, i ordered the Ceramique because i couldnt find the AS5... its in my room...somewhere :eek:

44. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Hi goldy that sounds bad where exactly did you place the temp sensor if its not real close to the die (ie under the pins) it may be reading wrong

What voltage is it running at?

45. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

hehe, remove the side panel, and install an 80cf window unit

46. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I slid the sensor next to the die as per what other people with the same kit did (sensors very thin) I may have missed it a bit though.
    I am thinking about putting a fan on my window but i cant afford that right now, ive got a 120mm intake fan at the front, not sure the capacity of it.

I'm just gunna wait till i get me new thermal paste and re-apply the heatsink... again.

47. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

You got 120mm intake fan :)
    That should blow some serious cool air in there
    you havent got the airflow blocked with hard drives and cables have you

48. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

nope, hard drives are out the way and cables are all nicley put away (for the most part anyway)

49. ChrisC

What is the termperature probe reporting when the mobo says 90?
    Otherwise, the only thing I could see being wrong is way too much thermal past, or that the heatsink isnt aligned properly (the lip on the bottom of the heatsink isnt over the elevated ledge on the one side of the CPU socket)

50. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You say the elevated edge, you mean the beige coloured thing adjacent to the socket lever? I tried that and it didnt even boot. plus the clip for the heatsink is right next to the PSU if you have it on like that. Ive had a problem with this motherboard with the socket placement, its really rediculous, i need to take the PSU out of the machine JUST to get the heatsink off! Its an Abit AN-7. Board layout is great appart from that.

Im still awaiting my Ceramique.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds