3000+ temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goldfish, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

As I can see at this page the lip in the HSF that needs to be over the socket lip is where the clip to attach it is.
    So, itd be a major pain in the ass to install for you, since your cPU socket is at the top of the mobo.
    If installing it like that makes the fan point towards teh PSU, you could always remove the fan and attach is 'backwards' so it works again.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hmmmm.... well, what ive done is rotated the fan about 90 degrees, so that the intake is from the front of the case and the exhaust is directly towards the case exhaust fan. Hopefully, this way i can attach the heatsink the correct way around (even thought I still have to take the PSU out in order to do it :rolleyes: ) and have the fan pointing in the right direction. Ive made some assumptions that the intake of the blower fan is the logo side, and the exhaust is the side with the motor wires going into it. I just hope that my assumptions were correct!

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

The use of the acronym : OMFG
    defined.

From running at around 80C according to the abit chip, its now running at ... get this ... 43C idle. and im running Prime95 now and in a few mins ill update it with my new load temp.

All this achived by a : putting the fan on so that the exhaust points towards the case fan rather than the PSU b : putting the heatsink on the right way (with great difficulty.. i would really like to put the clip on the other way to make things easier for me.

UPDATE : Ok, after about 10 mins of prime95 its got to a peak of around 56C. A bit higher than I would like it but NOWHERE NEAR the 80C i was getting before. Like i said, still waiting for the ceramique ;)

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Got the ceramique, looking at idling aronud the 40C mark, peaking at about 53C. And this is just freshly applied too, so should be peaking at around 51C when its broken in.

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Case Airflow

Mudshot's got a point. Check out AMD's cooling design guide at <http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf>. If you can get the CPU cooler exhaust temperature to within 7C of ambient, your case airflow is probably OK.

I found I had to add ducting to the intake side of my exhaust fan so that it sucked up the CPU cooler exhaust. Without the ducting, the cse exhaust fan was doing a great job of extracting the air in the case that hadn't been heated by the CPU cooler. Without the ducting, my CPU temps easily ran into the 50's (Celsius) under only moderate load, and the CPU cooler exhaust was running about 10C above ambient. Now, the air temperature rise is no more than 4C, and I haven't found a way to make the CPU temp rise higher than 42C. It idles at about 40C. Ambient is normally 22-24C.

It helps that the case exhaust fan is temperature controlled. With the ducting in place, it's highly sensitive to CPU cooler exhaust temps -- and just spins up a little faster if that temperature rises, which brings the CPU temp right back down again.

AMD also points out that intake fans often don't do much. That was my experience too. Disconnecting mine resulted in only a 3C rise in my CPU temp as reported by the BIOS. I expect that adding some ducting to separate the intake side of the intake fan from the case air might get me a bigger reduction. As it is now, the intake fan is just churning the air within the case and adding little to the volume drawn in from the outside.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds