32mb Cache w/ 7200rpm OR 16mb Cache w/ 10000rpm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drizzles, Jul 8, 2009.

?

7200RPM 32mb Cache OR 10,000RPM 12mb Cache OR Other!

1. 7200rpm 32mb Cache

100.0%
  2. 10,000rpm 16mb Cache

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (Please Specify in a comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. N/A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Alright, I just received a Samsung 1TB 32mb cache 7200rpm HDD today and I decided to Benchmark it against my Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor 16mb cache 10,000rpm HDD.

The VelociRaptor came out on top for smaller transfers (.5kb - 8kb) whereas the Samsung came out on top for all transfers above 8kb (16kb - 8912kb). They are both SATA drives. I guess when you think about it, this outcome makes partial sense, the 16mb cache being the VelociRaptors bottleneck and the 7200rpm being the Samsungs. So I guess its similar to the Bugatti Veyron vs the McLarens F1. McLarens F1 will thrash it off the mark because of its superior acceleration, but once the Veyrons raw power starts to kick in it overtakes the F1 with ease ...

If anyone wants to add any extra information or extra experiences, or a HDD which incorporates both 10,000rpm AND a 32mb cache would be GREAT! :p

Please vote upon which has worked best for you, if you have used either type of drive, otherwise please tick N/A,

Comments welcome!

Also here are the actual BenchMark graphs for your perusal.

Attached Files:

2. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

I have actually voted for the 7200rpm 32mb Cache, only because they have a larger capacity.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds