333mhz bus CPU in 266 bus motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MeanGT, May 18, 2004.

1. MeanGT

MeanGT Private E-2

Hi, I have a problem. Long story short, I got the wrong part, and am in a huge hurry to get it installed and don't have time to wait for a return. Will it hurt to run a 333mhz Athlon 2500+ processor in a motherboard that only supports 266mhz FSB? I think I will just upgrade the motherboard to one that is compatible with 333mhz FSB. but would it do me any harm to run a few days with the FSB underclocked? I just don't want to damage the new processor.

Thanks,,

Specs:

Soyo KT333 Motherboard. (manual says it only supports 266 fsb)
    Athlon XP 2500+ processor
    512mb DDR pc3000 ram
    some other stuff that isn't applicable in this question

2. MeanGT

MeanGT Private E-2

I just checked, my motherboard is currently set for FSB: 133 (I guess it doubles to make it 266?) I have an option for 1mhz stepping, I can set it all the way up to 255 mhz. If I were to set that option to 166mhz would that solve my problem? Thanks again

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

If it supports Barton cores... then it should be alright for the time being. It'll be underclocked though. 333 requires 166Mhz FSB.

Gah no no, dont overclock the motherboard like that! If it supports 133, that'll be the max it can go to. Anything more would cause instability, especialy with stock cooling.

4. MeanGT

MeanGT Private E-2

Thanks for the info goldfish.! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds