350w, is it enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Max Powerz, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Hey I'm upgrading my system reallly soon and was wondering if an Enermax 350w would be enough, specs are:
    DFI Infinity
    Athlon 2500+ (possibly overclocked to 3200+ speeds)
    256MB PC3200 (will be getting 1GB soon)
    Radeon 8500LE 128MB
    WD 40GB 8MB HD (might be getting another 40gb and raiding them)
    ATI TV Wonder Pro
    A 48x16x48 CD burner (and I think i'll be getten a DVD burner soon as well)
    Probably a few case fans

And I think that's it, so would it be enough or do I need a better one? thanks.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

350w will work fine for that.

I have a 350w, and I run:
    Athlon 2500+
    1gb pc2700
    radeon 9700 pro
    80gb ata 133 maxtor
    80gb ata 100 wd
    52x TDK CD Writer
    generic dvd drive
    a7n8x deluxe
    (4) 80mm case fans
    onboard sound and lan.

If you overclock, I'm thinking you might need a bigger psu though.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I calc'd you at about an average of 300 Watts with all your upgrades. May be less if you have onboard RAID. I'd say 350 should cover it for now, but if you upgrade your video card, you're going to be cutting it real close..

4. Den

Den Private First Class

WhenI replaced my psu I was concerned about the line voltage output which is what counts. Here is an example of my Enermax 465 watt psu for a P4.
    Output: +3.3V@35A; +5V@35A; -5V@1A; +12V@33A; -12V@1A; +5VSB@2.2A

Some 350 watt units probably have more output than others I would go for the higher output unit with a good name brand. I know lower line voltages may work ok for some but I personally wouldn't go any lower with the output voltages than what I have.
    Den

5. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Well it's another $30 for an enermax 420w (its a special one, independant 12v rails or something) or a enermax 450w, im saying all enermax stuff cause it's all they have except aopen but i dont think they're psus's are very good. So yea should i wait awhile and get one of the better ones (which one?) or just get a 350w... I don't think I'll be getting a new vcard till next year cause I wont be getting more ram till the fall at least... yes... i'm poor, aha.

6. shockcell

shockcell Private E-2

if your going to be upgrading your system in the future i would suggest on getting a bigger psu, but for the specs you have now the 350w should be good enough

7. Jackson

Jackson Private E-2

I'm running a P4 system with a 420 Watt Thermaltake PSU and it's been working very well for me. Newegg.com has them for $40 with free shipping. :cool:

8. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

9. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

10. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

*bumpy* come on guys, which PSU is better, the 420w with the special stuff or the normal 450w?

11. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Personally I'd skip the 420 and grab the 450, leaves room for future hardware expansion :)

12. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Did you read the links? The 420 a few extra things, not sure if thats more important then the extra 30 watts tho. Both PSU's are about the same price.

13. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

*had a few extra things

come onnnnn which PSU would you guys reccommend? The 420w has 12v independant rails or something i think and some other stuff (check the links) but the other ones 450w...

14. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Yeah I read the links, the only thing the 420 had over the 450 IMO is the extra SATA cable. The fan speed controls are nice and all... or is that a feature you were looking for

15. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

ok but:

ATX 12V V1.3 compatible & support latest P4 and Athlon 64 platforms
    Dual cooling fan design - 9cm Thermal Control Intake Fan, 8cm Exhaust Fan
    Smart fan - cooling fans keep running for at least 2 minutes to cool down hardwares inside PC cases after PC shuts down
    Manual & automatic fan speed control - 8cm & 9cm fans automatically controlled by thermostat plus rheostat control over 8cm fan enabling users to keep the balance between cooling effect and acoustic noise
    FM & FC functions - allow MB to on/off control 8cm exhaust fan
    Independent 12V rails - provide stable and clean current to noise-sensitive devices
    Extra 4-pin power connector provides high-end graphic card with stable current
    Included two S-ATA power connectors

I've heard the independent rails are really good for stability and overclocking and such? This true or is is the extra 30w better?

16. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

I don't know whether or not the independant rails are good for that... I was under the impression that they were line conditioners, meant for minmizing power fluctuations. I honestly haven't tried overclocking anything in a few years... some of the other guys here would be better able to answer that than I could :(

17. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

dammit, anyone here?

18. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Alright, thanks a lot! So you think an Enermax 350w could handle that system with the athlon@3200 speeds, a gig of ram, and a Radeon 9800 Pro, or even a X800 Pro?

19. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Stupid non working edit button... anyway, yea I forgot to ask if it could handle bigger HDs too, like 2 40gbs raided or even one of those super fast WD sata drives ohhh yea :cool:

20. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Hehe, sweeet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds