3D issues with NVidia Ge Force FX5200 video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MmeMoxie, Feb 26, 2009.

1. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

I have looked everywhere for an answer to my problem. Nothing seems to address my issue.

This is my system info:

Board: ECS nForce3-A
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/16/2005(last BIOS update)
    1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron
    LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P
    Sparkle NVIDIA Ge Force FX 5200 8x AVG 64MB
    Ultra Power Supply 350 Watts

I have all of the latest updates from Microsoft and run AVG Anti-Virus FREE program. I just scanned my computer and it was 'clean'. I use CCleaner on a frequent basis, at least once a week, to keep 'junk' off of my computer.

I have searched all over the Internet for a solution to my issue, including the Major Geeks Forum and can't find anything that even addresses this issue. Mind you, my video card has been working just fine, until about a week or so, ago! I don't have a clue what has happened.

Bottom line, I have NO 3D capabilities on my video card and until a week ago, I did. Everything else works, my video displays a good, clear, crisp picture on my monitor and I can set my resolutions to the proper ones for my monitor and the refresh rate is just fine. But, no 3D capabilities!!!

I put in my husband's video card, thinking it would maybe help, nothing, still no 3D capabilities. That card also, has 3D capabilities.

Needless to say, this is playing havoc with many of my PC games. I don't know if, I need a new video card or what? I have uninstalled drivers, installed drivers, sat on my head and it is still the same, NO 3D capabilities. Yet, I had them just over a week or so, ago.

Please, help me resolve this issue. I really need some geeky advice and knowledge.

Oh, I built this computer myself and it's about the 10th one that I have built. I am telling this, so, that all of you will know I am not computer illiterate. I simply have never faced this issue before and from the looks of it, most haven't, either.

I also, updated DirectX. I have the latest update. I get the bouncing ball but not the spinning X.

I simply don't know what to try/do first. Is it the motherboard? Or the video card? Or the power supply? Or what???!!! Any suggestions or answers?

Thank you, in advance for all your assistance.

2. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

3. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

Thanks, but, that is not my issue. That person has some 3D capabilities and I have none.

My video card fan is working and remember, I put my husband's video card in place of mine and still no 3D capabilities. Everything else works great on this video card.

I don't know if, I got a 'bad' download on the updating of DirectX or what. I don't think so, but, anything is possible when computing.

4. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

you could try uploading your direct x log file as an attachment and maybe someone will spot something.

5. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

Been looking for this file, all day. Finally, found it. I have added it as an attachment, so that anyone can view it.

Thanks voodoo3rd, I didn't know this file existed and it really may help with my issue. Hopefully, someone knows how to read the information and be able to troubleshoot my problem.

Attached Files:

6. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Also post the other one, open dxdiag and on the first page click save all information then attach the file it creates

7. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

Thanks, voodoo3rd,

Hopefully, this will help with my issue.

Attached Files:

8. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

'Direct3D functionality not available' do a search on this and try some of the suggestions, unfortunately I cant find a definitive solution to the problem just a lot of suggestions.

Some say you have to clean the driver out completely from system and registry before re-installing others say you have to use an old driver version and a few talk about various settings to try.

You could try this as it updates some of the directX components but again this is just a suggestion.

9. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

voodoo3rd, thanks again for all your suggestions in trying to help me resolve this issue. I will do a research on 'Direct3D functionality not available' and definitely try the suggestions. I will also try your suggestion of updating some of the DirectX components.

This issue is one that has really stumped me. I usually can figure out most of my issues, but with this one, I needed some added input and voodoo3rd, you have definitely been a helpful resource.

I will let you know, if, I am successful in my research and more updating.

10. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

I finally, resolved my issue. I had to re-format my hard drive and re-install Windows XP, plus all of the rest of my software.

The more I researched, the less I found answers. No one seemed to be able to resolve this issue, when they had it. I kept getting this 'nagging' feeling, that the only way to resolve it and to find out, if, it was a 'bad' video card, was to re-format the hard drive and re-install everything. So, I went for it and was successful. One thing I couldn't understand is why my husband's video card wouldn't even have 3D capabilities, when I put his in my computer. I knew his was working.

My conclusion is, something happened within the registry. It may have been malware or I had just 'updated' my Microsoft Security Updates, I don't think I will ever know for sure.

I did find in my research that there can be an 'issue' with AMD CPU processors and NVidia video cards. But, that probably wasn't my issue, since, I had full 3D capabilities for well over a year, before all of this happened.

So, my conclusion is ... Try everything you can first, then when you have absolutely NO results ... Re-format hard drive and re-install operating system and all programs. I know that is drastic means, but, it is what worked for me and might work for others.

voodoo3rd, thank you so much for all of your feedback. You were a great help to me and I really appreciate all of your assistance. You were an excellent 'sounding board'. You got me to look at things differently and do more research. All of your suggestions may not have worked, but, I am certainly glad that I tried them. Your suggestion to 'upload' the right information from my computer about DirectX, was excellent. It got me on the right track to resolving my issue. Thanks again, for all your help!!!

11. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

I just checked on my laptop to find I also have Direct3D functionality not available, fortunately I don't use it for 3D stuff it's mainly used for internet/E-mail so it's not really a problem.

Thanks for coming back to let us know what you did to resolve your problem, sometimes just re-installing everything is the quickest way to go about it. Maybe one day someone will come up with a repair patch to address this issue.

If I ever find a solution to this problem I will post it here :confused

12. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

voodoo3rd,

Just a 'gut feeling', but I do think it has everything to do with Microsoft's Security Updates. Everything I researched and read, talked about having the 'final certified driver version' to try to fix this problem. With Microsoft's 'buggy' Windows XP and so many Security Updates, plus many of these Updates 'reset' all the settings to Default, I think it is Microsoft that is 'screwing' with our computers. Plus, with so many of us using so many 'older' components, the original companies will not keep up with driver version updates to match Microsoft's idea of 'certified' drivers.

Oh, I am not saying that Microsoft is getting any personal information, but since they have the whole code for their Window products available, they can change things at will. I am beginning to think that Microsoft's Security Updates are nothing more than 'malware' and that their Updates are just as 'buggy' as the original code was.

Point in case, I have a AMD processor and I still can NOT upgrade to SP3. I have tried multiple times and am able to download the whole process, only to find that when it goes to install, there is always the same error and it can not continue. I must say, this has wasted many hours of my time. Microsoft has known about the AMD problem for months now, have they even addressed the issue? NO!!! They want Windows XP to go away and for everyone to purchase Vista. I won't purchase Vista, everyone I know that has it, hates it. At least, Windows ME wasn't as bad and as blotting as Windows XP and Vista are.

I am sorry, for getting on my soapbox, but that is how I feel about all of this. I don't understand how everything else in the computer world reduces the price for their products when newer ones come out and Microsoft doesn't!!! They charge more for the newer products and the exact same price for the older products, as when they were new, even if they are considered 'obsolete'.

Greed and more money is at the root of this problem. Bill Gates may have 'stepped down' as the leader of Microsoft and donating a large portion of his wealth to charity, doesn't cut it with me. To me, this is a sign of 'guilt'. He has it all, so to sooth his 'guilt' feelings, he has become a philanthropist. Many, many wealthy men of the past, have done the exact same thing.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have an AMD processor and I'm running SP3. There has to more to it than just the processor.

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Same here. And, my video card is a GeForce FX 5500.

15. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

Yes, it must be more than just the processor. However, many of us with AMD CPUs can't install SP3. I have tried over 20 times since SP3 was released in May 2008, to absolutely NO success.

I have searched and researched troubleshooting in regards to this issue and haven't found the answer to this day. Microsoft talks about a couple of 'Hot Fixes' that have been known to cause problems, but, I don't have those 'Hot Fixes'. Nothing that I have read to date, has even addressed what is the 'root problem'.

As far, as I can figure, it is much the same as with my original issue 'Direct3D functionality not available'. That issue has been noted and discussed on forums, since 2004, yet I haven't been able to find a defining answer as to why this happens. Was it a 'Hot Fix' update, which made the original certified by Microsoft components 'non compliant'? Or is it simply coincidental? I don't think so, once again, just a 'gut feeling'.

Bottom line, even though I am not happy with Microsoft, at the moment, I am a Windows user and always will be. Overall, I really like Windows and have used it since Windows 95.

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the motherboard? ooops, I just opened the other eye and see it was the first line in your post ECS nForce3-A
    I'm off to see if I can find anything.
    I'm looking here to see if perhaps a BIOS update would fix your two problems.
    http://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates.jsp

Ordinarily I say stay away from BIOS updates. But clearly something isn't working properly.
    I had a notebook that I could not install 2K on. Everytime I started, the screen blacked out. The computer was designed for 98 and NT so 2K should have been installable. I looked for BIOS updates, downloaded the newest and read the changelog; bingo, it said it fixed a problem where the screen blacks out when trying to install 2K. Needless to say, I did do the BIOS update because it solved my problem.

hmm, Phoenix is not listed for ECS boards
    Maybe download the BIOS agent scan tool.

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Problem solved, right? So, no need to risk a BIOS update.

18. MmeMoxie

MmeMoxie Private E-2

usafveteran,

You are right. Right now, things are working a-ok. I can live without SP3. Not really sure it is paramount to have, anyways. I have all of the Microsoft updates, except SP3. ;)

plodr,

I have the last and latest BIOS update for my motherboard. I checked at the ECS motherboard website and I am up to date. :)

Just curious, did you know that Phoenix and Award are the same company? This motherboard has a Phoenix Technology BIOS, it even says so on the posting at start up. However, it looks just like an Award BIOS setup, so it very well maybe. Six of one, half a dozen of another, right?

So, I don't know where you were looking, but, I do know when you need to update your BIOS on your motherboard, you should go to the company that made your motherboard, for me that is ECS.

Yes, I have updated a couple of motherboard BIOS before and know that it is a dangerous thing to do, but, when you are having problems, it is usually the only thing you can do.

Must explain, I have built 10 computers, from scratch to date. As I stated earlier, I am not computer illiterate. I just don't like it, when I can't do something, that everyone else seems to be able to do. It definitely could be an incompatibility within my motherboard, I will concede that. But, I do like having my AMD CPU that works fine and was much cheaper to purchase, than any of the Intel CPUs. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds