3rd Party Defrag apps, any suggs plz

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bold Eagle, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have been reading on Langa.com and TweakHounds about 3rd party defrag tools being better than Micros$$t vrsion. Any suggestions and why they may be better than the supplied app.

2. silvius

silvius Private E-2

If u keep ur drive clean and defragmented regularly, it wont take a long each time, but the built in is kinda slow and it wont defrag ur MFT and paging file.
    Third party applications are faster and some have advanced scheduling features and you can set them to run in the background.
    Here's an MS article on the same
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130539&ID=KB;EN-US;q130539
    My personal choice is Diskeeper. Here's a free version
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

3. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

O&O V8 defrag,Diskeeper and Perfect Disk are all good defraggers.Use perfect disk myself and am quite happy with it.

4. armstrong

armstrong Private E-2

Fix-It.

5. tester36

tester36 Private First Class

DM Lite 10 seems to do the job :)

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thanks all. Good advice, excellent link silvius and will use this in the future. So I assume that Diskeeper Lite 7.0 Build 418 is the same as the product metioned on MS website.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

If this is XP, then XP has a limited version of diskeeper installed already. Not all that great, but it is there. Edit: Err, thanks for the confirmation, Silvius. I always knew that this was diskeeper lite, but now I have proof.!

I use to be a hard core VoptXP fan, then switched to O&O defrag, Perfect disk, and now Diskeeper 10.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thanks again all, and silvius I downloaded Diskeeper Lite and started the defrag, left the sys on and went up to the shop expecting to come home and another 3-4 hours before it would finish, but bugger me it had already finished as soon as I got home and at most had been running for 40 mins. Previously the onboard defrag took upto 6 hours in comparison to roughly 40 mins, this is a big difference and I will recommend to others. Excellent advice.

9. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds