4 brand new dells browsing/sharing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mecroneo, May 19, 2005.

1. mecroneo

mecroneo Private E-2

okay, here I go,
    Just recently I started working on a small project for a relative involving four brand new (original configuration) dell pcs. Everything seemed to be working just fine until I try to share a printer. Everything goes as planned on the computer that is sharing the printer. And then I jump over to the next computer and try to browse the network to look for the printer and I get an error message saying that I do not have the necessary privilages to do so. Next I share everything that I can possibly think of (hard drives, cd-roms, floppy drives, etc.) to see if the problem was just the printer. Of course, I cannot see anything on any of the three computers that are not sharing the printer (I do have file and printer sharing enabled on all four PCs) I do have SP2 installed on all four PCs, tried to disable the windows firewall... that didn't work.

-None of the three can see their own shared files or drives in My Network Places
    -None of the three can ping the pc with the printer
    -All can ping the router/switch (Linksys with wireless b/g)
    -Do not have an available internet connection
    -The PC with the printer can ping the others

Please tell me, what did I forget?

If I left anything important out please let me know(in a nice way) ;-)

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

As silly as it may sound. Go through the Network wizard on all four computers!!!!
    After that, Create a common username and password on all 4 computers.
    If you do not, then you will not be able to just print when you want. What I mean is if you go to my network places and browse workgroups computers and then click on a shared folder on another computer, it will ask you for a username and password login. Until you log on to that computer you cannot access the resources. That is what your asking the computer to do when you send a print job to the computer with the printer on it. Only thing is the Job will fail inevitably and it will not tell your why. Now you know. By putting a common user name and password *should* alleviate the issue. This is a common problem while setting up peer to peer networks with XP. Kind of quirky.
    (Im assuming XP due to the fact that you said they are brand new)
    I can elaborate more if needed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds