4 displays - single PC -possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 14, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A dude I know is HEAVY into online trading. He wants a PC that will support 4 individual monitors and each monitor MUST be 'active', meaning that it must update and display information even if it isn't currently the 'live' monitor being controlled by the mouse. I'm assuming he'd use a hotkey to switch the mouse to screen 1 or screen 4 or whatever, but each display must update in real time. I'm thinking that 2 video video cards in SLI will work, with each card driving 2 displays. I'm not familiar with using 4 displays simultaneously.... is this possible with SLI? Does the nVidia driver have an option to send different output to each of 4 individual displays?

THANKS!

(Note: he already has an SLI capable system, but doesn't have the video cards yet; he's waiting on buying the cards until we know for sure he can use 4 LCDs actively)

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If I understand the requirements here, I don't see the need for SLI. He wants 4 independent displays, right? That could be done with two video cards, each of them supporting two monitors. Of course, make sure the video cards have the right outputs (DVI or VGA) to support the monitors he'll be using. DVI-to-VGA adapters can be used if needed.

Also, I don't believe the updating in real time is going to be problem. I'm using dual monitors. Right now, I'm typing this message on one screen. On my other display is another website (Forbes.com) with stock market quotes displayed on the page. That data is being updated even though that screen is not the active window as I type this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Since there's no gaming going on, we're looking at getting 2 NVidia 9400GTs or 9500GTs, 512mb each (we'd go 256mb each but I don't think they make 'em anymore LOL ). How would he switch from screen to screen? I'm assuming you can set up hotkeys, or something similar; like CTRL+ALT+F1 for LCD #1, CTRL+ALT+F3 for LCD #3, etc.
    :confused

6. da.bell

You would hook up those monitor and have Windows handle the rest. It would be one continuous screen and the mouse would be able to move across them without doing any shortcuts.

However, are you trying to get a Virtual Desktop going? (example: http://majorgeeks.com/Cool_Desk_d192.html and I am not saying this is the best program for it either.)

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

As da.bell said, he'll be able to switch from one screen to another by just moving the mouse from one screen to the other. For new users of multiple monitor setups, it may take a little practice to get used to it.

Regarding hotkeys, I believe both ATI and nVidia's software provides for this. But, again, screens can be switched my moving the mouse to the screen. Also, if he wants enhanced functionality for multiple monitors, he might benefit from purchasing a utility called UtraMon.

My impression is that Cool Desk is not a multiple monitor utility; it's a way to display multiple virtual desktops on one monitor. So, I don't believe it fits the requirements here.

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

What you would basically need to do is drag the windows you want to view to the monitor you wanted to view them on.

Don't you just love it when tech works right?

:-D

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:dancer :highfive

You guys are the best!!! :grouphug Thanks a lot for the info.
    Now that I've had time to marinate on this for a bit, I seem to remember having a dual-display set up before, and I remember being able to simply keep mousing past the edge of one LCD to the edge of the LCD right next to it, as if the two 19" LCDs were one big 38" screen. But, I didn't know WindowsXP could handle 4 LCDs as one big screen. So, if I can set up all 4 LCDs as one big display, I'll be golden. Even if we have to set it up so that each video card (2 monitors per card) acts as one display, and we have to hotkey between 'em, that's great too. The video cards are coming in via UPS tomorrow (Thurs Oct 15), and as soon as they're installed with drivers, I'll post here.....

Thanks again, to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :dood

[dlb]

10. da.bell

That is correct. I am readying the OP's thread and I know he says he wants a HUGE :-D desktop and the 4 screens will show that.

However, it also sounds like he wants a Virtual Desktop Manager in parts of his postings. But, I might be getting caught up on the wording from the OP. ;)

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Eh, you may be right or you may be wrong. I think that point really hasn't been clearly established. For online trading, I think you may be right but, again, I think the point needs clarification. With the information given, I don't think we can draw a definite conclusion about whether the intent is to divide one very large display among four monitors, like spreading a large spreadsheet file across four monitors, or is each screen supposed to show a separate application (e.g. spreadsheet on one screen, word processing on another, email on another, etc.) or, in this case, a separate and distinct flow of data.

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:celebrate :dancer :hyper :highfive :cloud9

After installing the cards in the PC (no SLI bridge needed), and downloading & installing the latest nVidia drivers, the whole thing took about 2 minutes to get all 4 displays working as one WIIIIIIIDE desktop. I simply drag a different open program to the desired LCD, and that's it! On a side note- Windows was not able to handle all 4 displays, only 2. I used the nVidia Control Panel to set it up, and it was so easy that even the noobiest of noobile noobs could figure it out.

A big THANKS to everyone who posted. You all helped!!! :grouphug

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds