4 gb flashdrive only says its nearly full

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I have an hp 4 flashdrive and it states its nearly full even though it is not..

I says that 3.63 gb are being used when in reality it is only 35.2 mb that is used ( i checked the files).

However i noticed that other drivers and other files are missing which are usually found on hard drives/flashdrives. I am sure my sibling probably deleted them.

Do i need those for the hard drive to work properly? or how do i get it to actually read the real amount that is there.

Its an hp 4 gb one

one top it has these numbers engraved: 097TM3AC180617
    v125w

Then inside the drive itself i can see these: THNU20LA1RA10
    0927APS5893975

2. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I am running windows 7 64 bit as well

I think it has something to do with the system files..

My external hard drive has around 3 other files already there '' drivenavi'' and some other files.

checked hp website and they have nothing of help regarding the model i have

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I assume it looks like this
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-v125-Flash...5SC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330085639&sr=8-2

I'm not sure what you mean by
    this statement. I have about two dozen flash drives from different manufacturers and in all different sizes. There are no "drivers" on flash drives. The company might include some sort of security like a vault to lock certain files and some might contain acceleration software.

I suggest you ask your sibling what was done to the flash drive. He/she might have chosen to hide files so you they are invisible.

HP has a tool to format USB sticks. It is SP27608.exe. If you use this to format the key, everything will be lost but the full 4GB capacity (actually less because a 4GB drive only has a usable capacity of 3.72GB) will again be available.

4. Dakar Holmes

Dakar Holmes Private E-2

Can you format it? If yes, just format it and then see what happens. I guess it is infected or there may be some hidden files.

5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Yes the flashdrive in the amazon page is the one i have

I asked my sibling and all she said was that she copied the files from the flash drive into a pc's hard drive.

Then when i access the flash drive it just says there is only 88 mb free space when i only see 35 mb worth of space being used up ( out of 3.7 gb ).

I don't want to reformat the hard drive just yet, my concern mostly is directed if somehow i could get the other space being ''used'' to appear? As i am somewhat confident.

6. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

So it appears dakar holmes was right, my flashdrive was infected with some viruses.

After i ran a normal mcafee test it found some things but generally macafee is not so good with removing things sometimes so i ran malwarebytes.

After removing the viruses i was able to see the files once again, however there are like 4 random folders named '' dgdjhskurhe ( not exactly that but random letters like those)'' and all they appear to be are recycle bins.

I don't recall those folders ever being there let alone 4 of them which just have a recycle bin i can't seem to delete them though. All combined i think they take 1 mb. Is it just better at this point to transfer the files i was trying to access to my pc and then just reformat the drive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds