4 year old dell having problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wec123, Feb 18, 2014.

1. wec123

wec123 Private E-2

im not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. my mother in law recently moved and left me her dell studio xps that she doesnt use anymore. its only 4 years old, runs windows 7, nvidia gts 240 graphics card, core i7 pcu. i cant remember other specs and am having trouble getting the computer to run long enough to retrieve them. it was find for a few months, then when the monitor went into power saver mode i wasnt able to bring it back and had to do hard shutdowns. i did a few windows updates and updated the graphics card drivers and still had the same problem. now its also started randomly freezing. i think both times i was on chrome but dont remember what i was looking at. earlier this evening i was on chrome and got a blue screen. i opened it up and blew out a bunch of dust with the ol' can o' wind. still acting screwy.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try going to the Dell Support site, entering the Service Tag number and going to troubleshooting.

You blew a bunch of dust out of it. I hope the problems weren't caused by overheating.

3. wec123

wec123 Private E-2

Ya I suppose I'll try. This machine is too young to be acting up this bad. I doubt it's overheating, but I guess it's hard to know for sure

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds