5 Questions about Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by DWRZ, Jan 31, 2007.

1. DWRZ

DWRZ Private E-2

Well, I've made the shift and for the most part it's fantastic. I'm stuck on a few things though and any help with these would be greatly appreciated!

1. When I installed Fedora Core 6 previously, AIGLX (wobbly windows, etc.) was working. I have tried enabling AIGLX on Ubuntu with no luck (using both radeon and fglrx drivers). I installed Beryl anyway and when I try to start it all the windows flash for a while and then it reverts to standard GNOME. I've also tried installing XGL and while GNOME runs all the toolbars are gray and none of the windows can be moved around.

2. I have a HP zd8000 with a Broadcom integrated card. I'm not sure exactly which card it is and I don't know how to find out. I'd like to install and use this card, but I've read several methods and I'm not sure which one is ideal. Can anyone recommend a method or FAQ?

3. I'd like the Ubuntu system as well as Evolution to display date in a custom way. Today in my way of dating is 2007.I.31 [05:3|031], time is: 17.49.34 (-0500). In other words: year.roman-numeral-month.day [week#:day-of-week#|day-of-year#]. I understand Roman numeral is complex but I was wondering if the rest can be done as in PHP. For example, more or less:
    %Y.%m.%d [%V|%j] for date
    %H.%M.%S (%Z) for time

4. E-mail. I dual boot between XP and Ubuntu. I use Outlook 2003 in XP and Evolution in Ubuntu. Is there any way for me to keep e-mails between the two synchronized? Manual methods (exporting and re-importing) are fine too.

5. Can anyone recommend any software/applications? Stuff that I really ought to have on Ubuntu? Best games, best multimedia players, best FTP tools, etc.?

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Well I will give #1 and#2 a shot.....

I do believe that these problems may have to do with the fact that you are running on an integrated card.

I had a severe lag and not all the features worked(rain etc) when I tried to run off my Intel 845gl integrated video(warned me it was not in XGL database)
    I borrowed a basic PCI video card from my freind (a real old one 56k I think)that was in XGL database and now it works fine.

Plus all my windoze friends cannot get enough of it ...

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. DWRZ

DWRZ Private E-2

I actually just got Beryl to work last night. I'm not sure if it was my install and then uninstalling the most recent fglrx, cleaning up my xorg.conf file, or one of steps in the process. But Beryl works.

I still want to try and find a way to get my 3d games to work, but I've not tried anything yet (I'm using radeon drivers again).

Oh well, off to the other two I guess, and thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds