5400rpm upgrade to 500gb 7200 or 64gb raptor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nunchuck, Jun 26, 2009.

1. nunchuck

nunchuck Private E-2

I'm thinking about upgrade my hd i currently have a 320gb 5400rpm and was wondering if i should get a 500gb 7200 rpm or get a 74gb raptor and load my os on it. i am planning on keeping my 5400 for either a backup or for docs and such
    space isnt a issue i currently have olny filled up half my 320gb 5400rpm
    is it worth it to get the raptor since space isnt a issue? or should i get a 500gb 7400rpm
    they're both about the same price

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I didn't know they made 320gb drives that slow. :confused If space is not an issue, and speed is what you're after, then why not consider SSD? 64gb solid state drives are well under $200 US at egghead... errrrrr.... I mean Newegg (here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141420). And I think you're referring to a 74gb Raptor.... Egghead has a 150gb VelociRaptor for $159.00 after rebate (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er=BESTMATCH&Description=raptor+drive&x=0&y=0). So I'd think a 74gb Raptor would be around $140 or so.... which is about the cost of the cheaper SSD's....
    Here's a link to Egghead where I used "SSD" as a search keyword:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&Tpk=ssd

EDIT- the SSD linked to above, the PQI model, was linked to as a price reference ONLY, and NOT as a suggested purchase. It seems to have hit-or-miss performance, and short lifespans.... DO YOUR RESEARCH before buying ANY solid state drive!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

From all I have read the current SSD & Raptor drives have a high failure rate.
    If you want decent speed + reliability get a Seagate 7200RPM hard drive, unless you have a laptop.
    If it is a laptop I suggest sticking with a 5400RPM HD due to the increased heat faster HD's generate.

4. nunchuck

nunchuck Private E-2

hmm im not looking to buy a ssd but newegg had 74gb raptor around $80 but it is now deactivated.
    so i guess i'll go with just a 7200rpm
    also my current hd is 250gb not 320gb srry i got that wrong

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

I use a WD 150GB VelociRaptor in this system ... never had a better drive ... although it can be slightly loud sometimes ... and during diagnostic spin up/spin down it sounds like a CD-ROM spinning up to read lol ... but it gets a 6 in the WEI ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds