64Bit processor and RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raistlin, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Raistlin

Raistlin Private E-2

Does anyone have a clue about how to match ram with the Athlon 64 processors? I see that the processors support a FSB at 1000MHz. How the heck do you match it with ram. All the motherboards that can be bought supporting socket 939 goes with a 1000MHz FSB but only supporting PC3200 DDR ram at 400MHz. In dual 800MHz can be attained, but. Then what´s the idea of 1000MHz? Could one create a 3 times 333MHz Ram? :confused:

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

It's a limitation, technology ahead of itself.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i might point out that dual channel RAM does not actually run at 800MHz ... it just enables twice the amount of data to be transfered at the same speed

w/ intel already putting out DDR2 boards .. I'm quite sure AMD is hot on the trail

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

btw you wouldn't be a dragonlance fan would you?

5. Raistlin

Raistlin Private E-2

Yeah, Im a dragonlance fan. :D
    I know that it´s not actually 800MHz, but "it works like"...right. ;)
    But why not make motherboards that do support higher frequency Ram?
    Or is it purhaps possible to overclock the ram to make it "like" 1000MHz, or how do you match it?
    No idea in purchasing an expensive 64bit if it can only transfer at 800MHz

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/xms2.html

they have 675MHz RAM now ... but I'm not sure whether it's compatible with AMDs 64 bit line or not ... I haven't seen any mobos that are ... afaik only intel has jumped on the DDR2 bandwagon ... and those are alot faster than PC3200 running in dual channel ... dual channel only gives you about a 15% boost or so it doesn't actually double the bandwidth ... sooner or later we will have 1000MHz+ RAM in our grubby lil fingers it's just a matter of time

this guy DrMDJ gives a good explaination about dual channel:http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183437&highlight=dual+channel

(still pissed WoTC canceled the Dragonlance Adventure mod for NWN :( )

7. Raistlin

Raistlin Private E-2

Thanks for the link. I´ll just check it out.
    And Yeah, am I mad about the cancellation :(
    Started to play Spellforce instead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds