6600 gt pci-e 128 mb clock speed detection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by veteran_gamer, Apr 30, 2005.

1. veteran_gamer

veteran_gamer Private E-2

Good morning.

Just formatted a fresh hd with a fresh copy of windows with fresh hardware.

For some reason, when i set my clock speeds to 530/1.6 with riva tuner (newest), any game i run will do fine for about 4-5 minutes. Then for some reason, i suffer from horrible preformance and everything gets choppy, some games can even become slide-shows. After this occurs, i check my clock speeds and they are set to 300/1000. The reason why this troubles me, is that the manufacturer's default was already at 500/1000. I cant understand why the clock resets itself like that. used to score a 8800ish on 3dmark 03 and now a nasty 5500ish. I have all service packs installed and the most recent drivers for anything on this machine (except motherboard, using disc drivers).

So here I am clueless, hopeless & miserable... any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

1gb ram ddr2
    audigy 2
    232gb seagate
    chaintek 6600gt 128 pci-e
    420 watt power supply
    cheap mobo
    plextor dvd
    intel p4 3.2@3.36

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

you have two clock speed on the card one for 2d and one for 3d mode.
    the 300/1000 that your seeing is the 2d clock.
    if your trying to set your 3d to 530/1600, that's prolly too high on the memory.
    when your trying to figure out your max clock speeds do so in small incrememts.

If you download coolbits 2.0 (www.guru3d.com), and install it in your registry, it will
    open up a overclocking tab in the Nvidia display driver control panel. Then
    you will have a button labeled "detect optimal frequencies" this button will
    give you a ballpark number on what your video card can handle.

good luck.

3. veteran_gamer

sorry, i meant 530/1.06

im still here working on this, uninstalled riva tuner after setting everything to default and rebooting, uninstalled nvidia drivers, fresh install on everything once again.

im using coolbits forceware 2.0, saw the new features, detected optimal frequency and it set me to 567/1.14 - heh, no way. I've set it it to 535/1.07.

ran hl2 death match on crowded server, ran great for the first 10 minutes, 50 + fps with everyone on medium 1024x768.. then the sudden preformance drop again. 20-25 fps, and it looks like almost 3000 pts on 3dmark. I checked the clock speed, back to 299.mhz.

what im guessing is that somehow, for some reason, its loading up the 2d settings with all of my 3d applications. what the ... :|

i appreciate the advice..but perhaps i should look into flashing the card, maybe even completely disconnecting it, putting in an older nvidia card then putting the new one back in (desperate measures lol).

and to think i was going to try to mod this thing because i heard it has 4 extra pipes

thanks for taking the time, but it looks like im screwed :/
    have a nice 1.

4. veteran_gamer

interesting, only my VGA core clock changes, the ram stays at the same speed.

so something is messing with the core...err..yeah.

I give up for today, i need some sleep

5. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

when you go into windows to look at the speed its showing 300 under both 2d and 3d in the overclocking tab?

6. veteran_gamer

standard 2d is at 300mhz, same ram frequency 1.07

preformance 3d is ar 535/1.07.

whats bugging me is something must be *triggering* this.

ram speeds stay the same, and i need to reboot to set clock core back to 535.

now, what bugs me the most, is after uninstalling everything and rebooting 50 million times, running it stock and basic 71.xx drivers (latest), it goes from 500 to 300. Now i know it has nothing to do with any kind of tweak utility (hopefully not).

i'm wondering if bios has something to do with this. The last feature i enabled was IDE writing to hard disk in the PCI-E/VGA options. I have also loaded everything back to default as we speak and am about to run Rome - Total war for 10 minutes to see what happens.

7. veteran_gamer

darn the bad luck. no go.

another thing that bugs me is that the overclock tab says its a 535/1xx, itll go through the tests, even when auto detect sets a speed, when i check it through 3dmark or anything other application, it says VGA core is at 299.mhz. im about to chuck this card and buy a new one cause i havent used this machine for the reason i built it in two weeks + :[

8. veteran_gamer

uninstalled absolutely anything that has to do with nvidia manually and ran drive cleaner pro.

reinstalled 66.93 drivers.

same problem, windows sets vga core to 300, while ram stays at 1.06, manufacturer is set to 500.

i set the core to 501mhz - 2 minutes of awesome gameplay then slideshow fps.

I set low power 2d settings to 320mhz. now clock runs at 320/1.06.

windows is setting the 2d core to default.

not to sound like a fool, but could my main core be burned out or somehow damaged?

why is it not reading the main core at LEAST at the default manufacturer's speed?

lol

im going insane.

lol.

9. veteran_gamer

it seems i have found a temporary fix, although i cant say im satisfied because something else is up.

all i did was simply force preformance mode through riva tuner power user settings.

*shrugs*

10. veteran_gamer

Hah, spoke too soon.

Reads clock correctly when forced, however preformance is still pitiful because my card is severely underclocked.

I Give Up.

thank you for your time.

11. veteran_gamer

Ran HL2 Deathmatch with ForcePreformance on, and clock speed of 501.0 mhz and 1000.mhz.

I get a crash/reboot. You know that nasty, sudden heart attack. Which means system is unstable, which means the 2d low power clock is being ran at 500 mhz which means that is 200 mhz more than 300, which means that is WAY too much. its like trying to run the default 500 mhz at 700 mhz. Where did my main clock go? where is my precious hiding?

if anyone can please help me find a way to have windows detect my MAIN 3d preformance clock i will be forever grateful. I cannot remember when the last time i slept was.

Well, back to installing, reinstalling, tweaking, and Crying. Later.

12. flyinmycoffee

flyinmycoffee Private E-2

I am having the exact same series of problems with my ASUS Extreme N6600GT. When I run n-tune I get a message that the PCI clock is set to follow the HTT clock or something like that. Could it have something to do with it? Lookin @ the BIOS settings there is nothing relevant anywhere. PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO O/C! (I run a AMD64 3200+ on a MSI K8N SLI Platinum.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds