6800xt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viper_boy403, May 24, 2006.

1. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Ive been looking to and have been upgrading my system lately and now Im lookin for a decent AGP video card to hold me over until i can afford to build an AM2 system. I first thought a 6800gs, pretty cheap, good benchmrks, but a little expensive and now kinda rare. Then i was thinkin a 7800gs from Ebay but kinda gave up on that. Im pretty sure that Im gonna get a 6800XT and unlock/overclock it. Ive heard lots of good things about unlocking these cards to a full 16/6 from 8/5 and its already running at 350 core and 1000 memory. Whats your take on this?

link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150157

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Dont expect to unlock that one, I know for a Fact the 6800XT XFX PCI-e version is'nt unlockable, AGP?? Let us know.

The GS would be better, few More bucks too, but either will smoke your 5200

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I cant find any more AGP 6800gs cards on newegg and this is only a card to hold me over for a while. After reading up on this for a while ive found that the 6800XT is pretty much a 6800/gt card that failed to pass at those higher specs and therefore the unstable pipes were masked. I guess that the AGP cards CAN be unlocked while the PCI-E versions are locked. No matter, its only $146
    and its supposadly got great memory (1.6ns that can run at 1200mhz relatively easily while it runs at 2.0ns speeds :rolleyes: ) Wish I could find those sites i got this from, sorry.

I also read that with stock settings, its better than a 6600gt which is about the same price and sometimes jumps above the 6800gt in certain benchmarks. I dont need maximum performance from a video card since im not a "hardcore gamer" (more of a all around computer guy) and this should do me justice :D

Thanks for all the input. O yea, i was talking to you earlier about getting a new motherboard and this is the one i decided on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131492

stable FSB up to 300mhz so i think ill be OK on overclocking. Later

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Ok, ive been reading up more on this and it seems that the eVGA 6800xt has a better and more reliable unlock potential. However, it only has 128megs of RAM. What would you choose?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds