750gig drive shows as only 160gig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tedtv, Jul 30, 2011.

1. tedtv

tedtv Private E-2

my wife bought a 750gig external USB hard drive. She used some freeware program that is like Carbon Copy for Mac to make the drive bootable. She can't find the program nor does she know the name of it. The program formatted the drive to where only 200gig was usable. So, her PC and my mac only shows the 200gig partition. The only program I found that detected the remaining space was Tech Tool Deluxe on my mac. It shows that the drive is actually 750gigs. Formatting it on the Mac or on the PC only alters the 200gigs. Does anyone know of a PC freeware that can detect the full drive space of 750gigs and allow me to re-allocate or reveal it so that the entire drive size can be used?

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

You could try downloading an Ubuntu live CD, it has a partition manager program on it.

If Ubuntu is too large of a download, you could instead download a Gparted live CD, it's just a partition manager instead of a whole OS, like Ubuntu is. Also, it can be run off of a USB drive.

3. tedtv

tedtv Private E-2

ok. thanks. i will try both today

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Parted Magic is pretty good too. What do you see when you check it out in Disk Management on a PC?

5. tedtv

tedtv Private E-2

it shows the full size drive but I could only access the 200gig portion. weird.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds