80mm vs 120mm fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by F575gtc, Aug 18, 2007.

1. F575gtc

F575gtc Private E-2

Hello, guys I have a 120mm on the side of my case right now blowing air in and it is extremely loud since it is spinning at max rpms.

should I

a) replace the 120mm with a 80mm
    or
    b) buy a more quiet 120mm because the air movement is such a big difference.

thanks for the help

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Fan noise if often confused for air noise. Fans are generally silent (uless they are total crap), for the most part its the amount of air they are moving which makes them louder. All of my 120mm are loud at max but not too bad when i turn them down to half. I have an 80mm on my side at full speed, cant hear it at all

You can always get a fan controller which is what I did.

3. F575gtc

F575gtc Private E-2

well I know my fan noise is actually air noise is there any way to reduce that? i have moved my fan about 5mm away from the case itself and it still creates air noise.

will a 80mm at full rpm create the same amount of air noise?

its a really annoying sound

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

To move larger air volume with less noise requires a larger fan. 2 years ago, my home aircon failed, and I had the option of moving all my gear to the basement, or add fan cooling. With a cheap square window fan ( 500 mm) set on lowest speed, next to my computer, pulling air out of the side of the case, I achieved lower running temperatures and as a result my CPU fan, case fan, and video card fans slowed right down as well. My rig was barely audible. When cooler weather came around, I turned off the big fan, and was shocked to hear the fans inside the computer rev up like twin turbos in a porsche. Think big fan. It works.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds