81C with a nvidia 7600gs agp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urbmd, Mar 12, 2007.

1. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

I recently installed the evga nvidia7600gs agp 256mg card and was quite pleased to see it be able to run Neverwinter nights 2 at moderate to high settings without crashing, but it does so at an average of 78 to 81 degrees C (stock settings). I had to rma my x9150pro card because all it did was crash on NWN2, at temps usually less than 52C. The 7600gs runs the desktop at even 54C, whereas my prior cards, the nvidia6200 and the x1950pro usually idled at around 41.

Should I be worried that this card is running so hot? Ive read that rivatuner can be used to display and set higher fan speeds, but rivatuner is a bit confusing to me. Can anyone tell me what settings to check?

I would rather not physically mod the card but I am worried I may need a better cooler on the card. I'd rather try bringing in more cool air to the tupperware-like dell case: is there a fan that will blow air in through an open hard drive slot in the front?

specs:
    dell dimension 8250, p4 2.8, 533fsb, 2x/4xagp
    512 rdram
    enermax liberty 620 psu
    evga 7600gs agp 256mb
    windows xp home sp2
    forceware 93.71
    all openings in the case are in the back (psu fan and cpu fan), and I left open one pci slot cover. The front has nearly no openings.

2. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

There usually are no hard drive openings to the "outside world" on the front of a dell case, but you can use a 5.25" drive bay cooler like this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=633874&CatId=805
    Or you could use one that uses an empty PCI slot like:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=633877&CatId=494
    The 5.25" drive bay one sucks air into the front of your case, where as most PCI bay ones exhaust the hot air out the rear. It would almost be worth using both if your powersupply will support it, then you could have a fresh supply of cool air, and still be exhausting the hot air your video card is putting out.

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I have a Gigabyte 7600GS which is passively cooled (no fan)
    It ran a bit warm for my liking so I have a slot cooler mounted vertically next to it (ran out of PCI slots)
    see vipers link http://www.xoxide.com/misccasefans.html

If you have the room (up to 2 pci slots) I would try one of these as they exhaust the hot air directly out of the back of the case, instead of just letting it recirculate.

right now my card is running at 42 degrees celsius (which is normal for it)

After playing DOW Dark Crusade for a couple of hours it only gets up to about
    52 degrees cesius.

My front case fan helps to cool the graphics card as well, while there may appear to be no opening at the front, air is often sucked in through a vent underneath the front of the case.
    I used a 2" hole-saw to drill through the front of my case to make it easier for the fan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds