9800xt Trouble =/ . .help plz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jerzeeprep70, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jerzeeprep70

jerzeeprep70 Private E-2

Well I had this ATI Radeon 9800xt since it like came out. I took off the old fan and added some Zalman Heat Speader cooler. Well everything works for till recently it just like crash'd and stop working. I thought like the thermal paste dried up or melted away or something since I saw the temp rise to 90c so I took off the card and went back to my onboard card and unistall'd all the ati software. So i bought some thermal paste applied it and pop'd it back in and reinstall'd everything. Everything ran alright till i check'd the settings.
    My agp settings are off and so are my pci settings like write and reader , the only thing on is fast write. I'm like... what's going on i havnt done anything. I tried to play my fav. game World of Warcraft and it says " World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration. Please make sure DirectX9.0c is installed and your video drivers are up-to-date". So i updated everything and still my card is like useless now. The ATI smartgate keeps leaving my AGP write and reader / PCI write and reader off for some reason. And I don't know what to do.. can anyone help?... and I left ATI a ticket on this probs so yeah.

system specs
    Windows XP service pack 2 (version 2002)
    768mb of ram
    120gb HD
    AMD atholon xp 3000+ (2.17ghz)

thanks..Will

2. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

First thing to do is to reinstall the MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET DRIVERS, which you can download from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Once you've got the chipset drivers installed, test the system. If you still have a problem, UNINSTALL the ATI videocard drivers, REBOOT THE SYSTEM, reinstall the latest ATI drivers for your videocard, then reboot the system a second time. When you get back to the Desktop, test the system again. As long as your ATI card isn't overheating, your problems should be gone.

If you don't know the specific details (make and model, etc.) of your motherboard, download and install Everest Free Edition from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

Everest will provide a LOT of system information, including the details we need about your motherboard and which chipsets are onboard. Once we know that, we can advise you on which motherboard chipset drivers you'll need to download and install.

Run Everest, then post the details we need about your motherboard here if you don't already have the information available.

3. jerzeeprep70

jerzeeprep70 Private E-2

Field Value
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 02/02/2004-nForce2-IGP-6A61BF0BC-00
    Motherboard Name FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31)

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 333 MHz
    Bandwidth 2666 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 128-bit
    Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 333 MHz
    Bandwidth 5333 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type HyperTransport v1.0
    Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
    Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
    RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset nForce2-IGP

Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name First International Computer, Inc.
    Product Information http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard
    BIOS Download http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/motherboard_all.aspx

yeah thats what it says

4. jerzeeprep70

jerzeeprep70 Private E-2

Field Value
    CPU Properties
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    CPU Alias Barton
    CPU Stepping A2
    CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
    CPUID Revision 000006A0h

CPU Speed
    CPU Clock 2171.10 MHz
    CPU Multiplier 13.0x
    CPU FSB 167.01 MHz
    Memory Bus 167.01 MHz

CPU Cache
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 02/02/2004-nForce2-IGP-6A61BF0BC-00
    Motherboard Name FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Chipset Properties
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 IGP
    Memory Timings 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules
    DIMM1: Samsung M3 68L6423FTN-CB3 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)
    DIMM2: Kingston K 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

BIOS Properties
    System BIOS Date 02/02/04
    Video BIOS Date 03/10/23
    Award BIOS Type Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
    Award BIOS Message Version TCB421Q
    DMI BIOS Version TCB421Q

Graphics Processor Properties
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9800 XT
    GPU Code Name R360 (AGP 8x 1002 / 4E4A, Rev 00)
    GPU Clock 412 MHz (original: 412 MHz)
    Memory Clock 364 MHz (original: 365 MHz)

umm yeah?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

EXCELLENT! You've posted the most important information, so now I can advise you on what to do next...

First of all, we now know that your system uses an FIC motherboard, the K7M-NF18G board, which is also known as the FIC AU31 motherboard. Everest also tells us that the motherboard chipset is the nVidia nForce2-IGP chipset. The nForce2 chipset includes an onboard video chip, which is called the Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP).

Just FYI, you can find a LOT of information about your motherboard at this page:

http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/motherboard.aspx?model_id=137

Unfortunately, the link on that page to the User Manual for the K7M-NF18G leads to a page with NO way to download a .PDF version of the user's manual...

However, you CAN download your motherboard chipset drivers directly from THIS page:

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/driver/1stUtilities_v1.27/PATCH/

The file you want is the "NVidia.zip" file; just right-click it and choose "Save Link Target As...", or whatever SAVE option your browser offers. You'll notice that the file is more than 50 MB total, so expect a LONG download if you aren't using broadband...

The GOOD news is, that ZIP file contains the drivers for Win98/WinME, and Win2k/WinXP, so you will have the entire bundle to keep for future needs. I hope you'll unzip the entire file, then burn both the Win98/ME and Win2k/XP folders to a CD-R for safekeeping...

Anyway, unzip the Win2kXP folder into a folder on your harddrive, then double-click on the "Setup.exe" file. That should get you started installing the chipset drivers your system needs. REBOOT your system when asked to do so; Windows will remove OLD drivers and Registry entries during the reboot process, so do NOT try to avoid rebooting. When you get back to the Desktop, test your system. If you have any problems, follow the steps I've posted previously (begin with the section "If you still have a problem, UNINSTALL the ATI videocard drivers, REBOOT THE SYSTEM...", and follow the steps as needed. Take your time, and this should work for you...

Post any questions you have if you need me to clarify anything here; otherwise, download the "NVidia.zip" file to your system, and follow the steps I've suggested to install your motherboard chipset drivers...

Good luck; keep us posted on your progress...

6. jerzeeprep70

jerzeeprep70 Private E-2

I did what you said and nothing and then i notice there was already a NVidia folder with the nforce something and the win2xp folder. did this affect the process ? should i delete it and. Everything else is same as before. During reinstallation of the ATI it displayed error saying no display 0 and etc. but the process still continued. So yeah =/ hmp. I hope this thing gets fix if not i think im going to just kick it. lol or get idk. try to get an upgrade eventhou im broke

thanks Will.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds