A basic Question about file locations

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrrobbev, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mrrobbev

mrrobbev Private E-2

Hi
    I have windows XP SP2
    I was looking around different folders today and noticed several folders
    inside my hard drive folder C drive.
    It was my thought this should only have
    basic windows folders,shortcuts to hardware ETC.
    Not things like "my games" folder
    Also a folder titled "my downloads" that contains what are described as secured installer files.
    My question is does it matter, or make any differance that these are
    on the disk C proper instead of inside say "program files" folder?
    Any advice would be helpfull
    Thanks
    Rob B.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah... what you have is 'normal' if there is such a thing as a normal PC. The 'My Downloads' was created by either a download manager type of application, or by a program you actually downloaded and installed. It probably contains setup files for various downloaded programs, or maybe music, or whatever you have downloaded. Again, 'My Games' was similarly created by a game (probably an online game or something like Yahoo Games). I wouldn't worry abut it too much. If the folder are taking up lots of space, and if the hard drive is running out of space, and you don't want/need whatever is in these folder, you can probably remove 'em. If you think there's a some malware in the folders, scan 'em with your favorite anti-malware program... also, read this info, it may be helpful: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds