A Beaten Man

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karmarapture, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Karmarapture

Karmarapture Private E-2

Moved from **NEW** Welcome Center

Hello to all, before I begin I would like to say it's great to be here and I think the help and support you all give is a generous, kind and selfless act on your part.
    Taking the time to help others with no personal gain is something I have lots of respect for....

So here is the problem, I de-fraged a friends computer and half way through the desktop disappeared, I still had a mouse and a wallpaper but couldn't get anything else apart from windows task manager Ctrl/Alt/Del. I rebooted in safe mode and all I get is a black screen with 'safe mode' in every corner ?
    Then I tried to reboot at the last clean load point as XP allows and still no desktop, I did create a system restore point before I started but how can I get to it if I have no desktop ?

The other problem is I don't have the PC in front of me so could I get some clue of what to do, and what did I do wrong ? my gut tells me 'VIRUS'

Thanks for any help you can give me on this
    yours sincerely
    Karmarapture

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello karma, I doubt the virus theory.

When you defrag (or disk check, or virus check) it is a good idea to do a disk cleanup first. Get rid of temporary files, internet caches, anything you don't want. Everything on the pc has to be checked and dragged about. So much less dead weight if it is not there.

Now to your problem.

I suggest your next action should be to boot the pc from a Windows CD and run Check Disk. Or use one of the manufacturers self booting disk checkers.

3. Karmarapture

Karmarapture Private E-2

Thank you for your swift reply studiot, I did a full scan with 'Advanced Windows Care' first, I must say the PC was in bad shape but it seemed fine after, I did a reboot, cleaned hard drive and set off De-fraging....

thanks again...I will try a disc reboot :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds