"A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hyphen, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

This has been happening more often frequently, but if I restart enough my computer ends up working fine. This can't be good for my system and I can't afford to lose this.

What can I do to fix this? It seems as if it's only happening when I shut down then boot the computer up, not restart. If anyone can give me any tips on how to fix this or further maintain the health of my hard drive, please let me know.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I'd say your HD is failing or you have a damaged file system

3. Hyphen

Assuming it's a damaged file system, what can I do?

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

run chkdsk

What os you running?

5. Hyphen

Vista Home Basic 32-bit

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First I want you to try two easy things. Open up the case and check that the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard is tight. If the connection is SATA, they can work loose and that might be the cause of the problem. If the cable seems tight or it is not a SATA cable then replace the cable connecting the hd to the motherboard and see if that does anything. Ribbon cables do go bad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds