A: drive not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by immer confused, Nov 18, 2004.

1. immer confused

immer confused Private E-2

My computer won't recognise any USB stuff, not the external floppy disk drive or the USB key. in My Computer it only shows D and E drives. how do i go about making it take the others? Please!

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

try removing all usb entries in the device manager.

reboot, let windows reset

3. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

What kind of computer is this? Did you build it?
    Is the USB built onto the Mobo or is it a separate piece that connects via a cable to the mobo?

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Both good ideas and points. I would also update drivers for your motherboard. I have seen errors that are fixed by installing VIA, Intel or SiS motherboard drivers for example.

5. immer confused

its a presario 2500, no i didnt build it myself!
    kjanz, i don't know how to reboot, or what that actually means.
    kazykrl, i don't know what Mobo is or what ur question means its just a USB key, and an externl floppy disk drive that won't work. but I do know that on front of computer there's a sticker that says 'high speed connectivity with USB 2.0'.
    Major Attitude, thats a bit complicated for me it think.
    I'm not slow in general, its just I can't really understand the ins and outs of computers with problems.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Reboot means to restart the pc, mobo means motherboard,

7. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

OK, so is there anything in the Device Manager that says USB?

Right click on My Computer, sleect Manage, choose Device Manager.

8. immer confused

woohoo! yeah, tried what you said about deleting the USB things from the device manager and it works, weird! thanks a million!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds