A F8 worse than death

Discussion in 'Software' started by rad4d, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rad4d

rad4d Private E-2

Happy New Year

I was deleting some of my start up list and it all went very well until I turned on my computer this morning. Goes through the normal routine when it gets to the final desktop screen the screen stays blank although the computer carries on whirring away. I think I may have disabled an nvidia process.

I have reasoned that I need to start in safe mode and enable the process. The trouble is that no matter how much I press F8 nothing happens and the boot up goes ahead as normal.

Can anyone explain how to get my pc up in safe mode?

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Some machines use a different key. On my machine, it's F11, so try each one. You'll eventually find the one you need. A little bit of work but not excessive.
    Welcome to Major Geeks.

3. rad4d

rad4d Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I have been through all the fuction keys but still no luck. Could it be that I have a wireless keyboard? Thinking about it I can do the tab, esc and del keys so maybe no.
    Is there any other way of booting in safe mode?

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

It could indeed be the keyboard. If you have one, connect a PS2 keyboard in and try.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What brand and model of computer?

6. RoyalGeek1

RoyalGeek1 Private E-2

Click on start, run, then type msconfig and click ok. Then click on the Boot.ini tab and chosse the /safeboot option. PLEASE have a windows cd available because if this doesn't work it could lock you into a cycle of atttempting to boot in safe mode and if it can't then you will have to edit the boot.ini file to remove the /safeboot manually. Or make a copy of the boot.ini file first then you can just overwrite with a clean file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds