A few questions about Intranets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmphotography, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dmphotography

dmphotography Private E-2

Hey there everyone,
    I recently created my own web server and now successfully host a few websites to the world wide web. I've had a lot of fun learning everything and now I'm starting to turn back to an imitation of the internet, as I like to refer to it as, created on my LAN. I think this will be by far the best learning and understanding project to undertake so I can fully grasp how the internet works.

My goals will be to have websites accessible over my LAN via domain names, A working mail server that can send and receive email over the network, and then extending it using a VPN software such as Hamachi.

My first question is in regards to using BIND for a DNS server. I've learned how to go into C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and create fake domain names on the server pc. What I'm wondering is does BIND extend these fake domain names throughout the network, or does each machine need to have edited host files and the DNS just resolves this to the server PC in the network?

Secondly, where's the best place for support on this project? I know I'm going to have quite a few questions and my goal is to add on to my existing website some really good tutorials on how to do everything I've mentioned above so others can benefit from my work.

Thanks in advance!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds