a PHP picture gallery

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Sep 29, 2003.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I know there are loads out there but my problem is thus:

I have a CMS (the same one that runs majorgeeks.com actually) which has a core file which is used to call header and footers from templete files.

Basically what i want to do is have a picture gallery but with my site design around the edges. Unfortunatley, in order to do this the core.php file needs to be running from the site's root, and inversley the gallery php scripts all need to be run from inside their own folders.

All i need from this is the ability to upload pictures, and to DYNAMICALLY create thumbnails, and click on a thumbnailto show the full image. I dont fancy having to make all my own thumbnails and upload manually because its a pain and i never end up with any pictures because i cant be bothered to make the thumbnails.

I thought maybe I could use a conjunction of two scripts, a simple gallery that just makes thumbnails from a directory, and a file uploader to upload images to the folder. but obviously the uploader script would have to be somehow secured (im going to be looking that one up)

UPDATE :
    I now have a picture gallery, but it doesnt create dynamic thumbnails.. Im thinking of modifying it so that it does....

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  2. brendandonhue

brendandonhue Private E-2

The script called "Gallery" makes thumbnails dynamically. You can also edit the templates to have it fit in with your site. I don't understand exactly what your saying about core.php, but you should be able to include() that file into the Gallery pages.

3. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

EDIT: Oops. I didn't know what "CMS" was so I just Googled it. It appears that you must already have, and be using the same Gallery program I talked about down below. I'll leave my post because it seems such a shame to loose it all just because I didn't bother Googling "CMS" first ;)

If you want someone to help you out with learning how to use the program, let me know.

Gallery

This program is awesome. Everything is done through the program's interface, in your browser. You upload any picture of any resolution and it automatically creates a resized version for a thumbnail view in the album, a standard larger size to view when you click on the thumbnail(useful if your original picture is really big and you don't want to make people use the h-scroll or burn all your bandwidth on loading large pics) and then keeps the original image for viewing if the large image it generates isn't big enough for you.

Here's the sample gallery that they put on the website. It shows screenshots of different implementations of the Gallery program on different sites. The Gallery that you are viewing is the actual program, however, it is very unmodified and uses default appearance settings.

I have succesfully taught people who are self confessed nearly computer illiterate how to use this program on their websites, and I have shown it to advanced users who were just as impressed with it as I am. Best of all, it's free.

Just try installing it on your server and playing with it for an hour or so. I think that you'll really enjoy the program and how powerful it is. :D

/infomercial ;)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds