a proper way to reformat winxp?

Discussion in 'Software' started by roglok, Aug 20, 2008.

1. roglok

roglok Private E-2

As of late I'm having major recurring issues with malware and so many tools to install just to remove it that I just gave up and started backup up essential data to the secondary drive in preparation of a full formatnuke of the system drive (C: in this case, of course)

I've prepped a streamliend SP3 XP install disc, based off my SP2 XP disc

I've downloaded off Majorgeeks (thanks guys) the usual anti-stuff (Outpost firewall, however, was provided by my good friend, box and all, bless him), drivers, and usual tidbits

I'm currently in the process of saving as much data as I can onto the other drive before I prepare the formatnuke.

What else should I be doing in this case? What else should I be saving in terms of data? What other program/s should I get off the internet before I go incognito whilst prepping it for a new lease on life?

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The only thing i can think of is to update your drivers and save them it will save time after the nuke

3. roglok

roglok Private E-2

I've got updated drivers ready and waiting.

anyone else care to help a poor soul on the internets?

4. roglok

roglok Private E-2

(darn 30min edit timer)
    I assume that when copying over files from my docs to the backup drive, Avast's resident scanner will scan them as they get copied? I've already had hits from some old files I remember from way back, which of course, got deleted as they were copied over.

I've already ran Kaspersky's online scanner on the backed up data, so far no hits on the first scan. Scanning again just to be safe.

Lastly, I'd like some feedback on my current "plan of attack" in regards to my reformat:

1. back up data (done)
    2. scan backed up data (done, 2nd run of kaspersky just in case)
    3. reboot PC, physically disconnect from internet, boot via streamlined XP install CD
    4. full reformat of c:, NTFS
    5. Install WinXP SP3 and drivers
    6. Install Outpost Firewall
    7. Install Avast
    8. Install SpywareBlaster
    9. Install SB SnD
    10. Physically reconnect computer
    11. Grab windows updates via admin acct
    12. System Restore Pt
    13. Swap to LUA and grab whatever else I missed out that I know is on the internet (like Winamp, VLC, etc)
    14. Stick to LUA and lock down PC via other methods

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

#3) Remember to change your boot priority to CD first in your BIOS.
    #4) You may want to bring your drive back to factory condition using your hard drive maker's utilities instead.
    #5) You may want to make several separate partitions apart from your XP so that you won't have to back up for a reformat(though still a great idea). XP partition should be min. 20GB.

The rest sounds perfect. See you on the other side.

6. roglok

roglok Private E-2

As with any reformat, there are issues that arise due to human error, some of which for me, are:

1. forgetting to get WinRAR for some of my files, some of which contain my encrypted file containing my passwords for my other backup which I needed to open because it had the Avast installer.
    (resorted to using a vista laptop, burned via some media burner program, NOT WMP/Vista itself, WinRAR and a copy of Avast just in case)
    2. forgetting to put Avast out of the encrypted volume (oops)
    3. completely forgetting all my favorites and links from Firefox (major oops >_< )

So other than the major scare I had to do (use Vista to get winRAR/Avast), its not as bad as I thought, security wise.

It is, however, VERY PAINFUL as I've lost a lot of bookmarks :(

EDIT: I'll need guides as to what settings, what changes, etc I should do to harden my PC all the more. I know I have to do something to services.msc, etc...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. Geek Tweaker

Geek Tweaker Private E-2

@roglok:

I'd suggest this the next time you decide to do a clean install of XP: Don't just reformat your C partition -- you'll simply be "turning off" most of the files which you need to absolutely destroy. Oft times, the bodies of these nasties will float to the surface again after a fresh install following a format.

DBAN or wipe everything with a bootable OS CD/flash drive: "...nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

;o)

P.S.: Don't wipe the entire physical drive of a recent vintage package system equipped with a restore partition: Proceed with care not to disrupt the restore features which the OEM has put in place. My experience with Dells has shown that a complete wipe of the C: partition is permissible without ill effect... YMMV

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. roglok

roglok Private E-2

DBAN? what in the hay? o_O?

I thought a full NTFS format would kill the entire partition completely. I didnt do the "quick" thing either, and now someone tells me that isnt enough anymore?

What the heck?! O_O

9. roglok

roglok Private E-2

(30 min edit timer again >_< )

Currently in the process of putting everything back in. Kaspersky online scanner needs java. Not sure which version I should get, even though firefox pointed me to a download, I'm not grabbing that, considering the current critical security notice stickied.

Anyone have a clean trustworthy link?

10. tym

tym Corporal

Just a quick Idea. Something to think about in the future. After you get your xp up and running and everythings fine. You may want to consider making a cusom xp restore disk for yourself.

I like you and others have had to do the same thing. Nuke the disk, reinstall xp, update it.... all that good stuff. I just got sick of doing that. So I went the nlite route. Took me a bit of time to figure it out, But now I can reinstall xp, along with my drivers, some nice tweeks, and with the use of nlite addons can also install all my fav free programs. Have all the updates.

In short it takes about a hour, pick the drive I want on xp, walk away and in a hour, come back and my computer is ready to go. I used nlite and my xp disk and key and use a "no touch install." Just a short hint if you go that route.

Make one disk with the "no touch install, tweeks, the stuff you may want to be removed. Save that disk, Make a second one with the addons and drivers using the first and your xp is all up to date.. Make sense? Works sweet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds