A real challenge

Discussion in 'Software' started by Primine, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Primine

Primine Private E-2

I'm losing faith that anyone can help me. I've run my computer through the adaware and spyware steps and it found nothing.

I am using Windows XP, 1.2 GHZ AMD Duron processor with 384 MB of RAM. 9GB of free harddrive space.

Problems:
    #1. Shut down. My computer takes about 10 minutes to shut down. Processes such as DVDCheck need will not shut down automatically and need me to click "end now" after process is not responding.

#2. Some processes will not close. Even if the program is closed they process is still running, even without taking up very much of my computer resourses. Sometimes even EnditAll can't stop them.

#3. Programs cannot perform an automatic update. If they attempt to they will freeze and the process cannot be closed. While this is simply solved by turning off automatic updates some programs require it in order to start up at all, and cannot be used.

#4. I am on a University connection. I have just learned a sharing program is available to us and have been trying to get it opperate. It's called i2hub and while my Norton Internet Security detects it is running, and it shows up as a process in my windows task manager it will not open the application or displays no messages as to why.

I have no idea what is going on. I DO NOT KNOW when the problems started up as I never turn off my computer, and didn't notice when the programs started going amok. It has been months though. Also a while ago I installed a Hewlett Packard dvd630i DVD burner. I know there is a chance that this could be the problem, especially since one program that won't close is DVDCheck which is doing some sort of update verification. I don't know. Please, someone help me.

Mike.

2. Primine

Primine Private E-2

So no one has even a suggestion? Please people! I have nothing without you... Don't let me down!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does the shutdown problem occur in Safe Mode?

4. Primine

Primine Private E-2

I tried a couple things. I booted it in safe mode and it shutdown at a normal rate. I booted it in safe mode and ran a program that would normally freeze (i2hub) and it worked normally, but shut down was slow again. Booted in safe mode and ran other programs (Windows media player, solitaire) and shutdown was slow again. Booted normally but ran one program that freezes (i2hub) before my computer had completely loaded and the program began to open and started connecting to host, etc and then froze. Closed program and tried to open it again, process shows up, but nothing comes up for the application. Process cannot be terminated.

To me this looks like some process on my computer is interfering with other processes. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanx...

5. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

did you do all of the steps on the spyware board? you only mention that you did the spyware stuff, and didn't mention the virus steps.

just off the top of my head (just a hunch), if you have run everything (spyware steps, etc.), and it all checked out ok, then my 1st guess would be that you have too much going on??!! how much stuff do you have running on startup? how much stuff is by your clock on the taskbar? a lot of people don't pay attention to that stuff but it adds up, and uses alot of ram, which you don't have alot of (but you have more than others). i only startup what i want/need to, like antivirus, firewall, etc. everything else is not needed (messengers, windows media, etc., etc.)

stuff i check on computers i work on (friends/relatives):

check your startup (start --> all programs --> startup, in case you didn't know)

msconfig (start --> run --> msconfig), but you have to be careful, as you could disable something that another application needs!!

did you run HJT, when you did all of your spyware sweeps? i'd start with the basics (some of what i said), and go from there, spyware/virus scans, and checking startup applications, etc. anyway, hope this helps some??!! - g/l sos

6. Primine

Primine Private E-2

I did do all the steps, beginning to end, and then the optional ones "if you're still having troubles". My start-up is empty, the only thing next to my clock is my msn messenger and Norton Internet Security / Antivirus (which I know is a major resource hog). I've run HJT and I THINK I took care of what I could there. Any more ideas?

:eek:

7. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

like i said, i was just guessing. so, are saying that you ran all of the spyware steps, and everything came up clean (when you finished), and you also ran the virus scans online, and those came up clean as well? what all do you have starting up (check task manager - ctl + alt + del, and msconfig)? i've enclosed a couple of screenshots of my startup. - sos

Attached Files:

8. Primine

Primine Private E-2

In Windows Task Manager I have...

alg.exe, CCAPP.exe, CCEVTMGR.exe, CCPROXY.EXE, csrss.exe, CTHELPER.exe, explorer.exe, ISSVC.exe, LEXBCES.exe, LEXPPS.exe, lsass.exe, LUCOMS~1.exe, LXSUPMON.exe, msmsgs.exe, msnmsgr.exe, navapsvc.exe, services.exe, smss.exe, SNDSrvc.exe, SPBBCSvc.exe, spoolsv.exe, 6 x svchost.exe, symlcsvc.exe, system, system idle process, wdfmgr.exe, winlogon.exe, wisptis.exe

In mscongfig I have startup I have...

ccApp, cfgwiz, SNDMon, CTHELPER, LXSUPMON, CTRegRun, msnmsgr

I know it's alot of processes, but I don't know which are not needed (even after going through various sites and threads). Any comments?

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That doesn't make sense to me.

Do you mean startup as in Start, All Programs, then Startup?

What is listed in the startup tab in msconfig please? (start, run, type in msconfig)

This is obviously something that is loading with a normal Windows bootup, so it should be listed in msconfig.

Just because there are no icons in the systry (next to clock), doesn't mean that there aren't any programs running in the background.

If msconfig doesn't list the culprit, try something like Process Explorer and/or AutoRuns, both freeware.

10. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Just a couple of questions, are you running two seperate memory sticks for your RAM, as in 1 256mb and 1 128mb? That can cause trouble! Try taking out the 128mb and boot with just the single 256 and see if anything changes. If it does not, try switching the sticks and try again. I have had that problem and it did such things as you are describing :cool: Also, have you ran Task Manager on top while trying to use hanging apps. to see what your resources are doing? I do that when my HD starts going off while I'm not busy to see what is running. Use the processes window and watch to see what is hogging resources.

11. Primine

Primine Private E-2

These are the things in my msconfig startup tab...
    ccApp, cfgwiz, SNDMon, CTHELPER, LXSUPMON, CTRegRun, msnmsgr

There are more things listed, but they aren't checked off in the list. I could put those in too if you want. I'm willing to try anything, so where would I find Process Explorer and AutoRuns?

12. Primine

Primine Private E-2

I am running two sticks of memory, so I will try alternating them tomorrow. As windows task manager, my performance is hovering around 3% with random bursts to 15% every 20 or 30 seconds. Inside my process menu 98% of my system resources is used by the idle process and the hanging apps don't take anything before or after being closed. (when the app is closed the process still runs using 0% of my CPU)

13. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

I would suspect memory first anyway, but only because I have experienced it. I have had trouble with mixing memory, I have a picky MoBo :D

14. Primine

Primine Private E-2

Do you know what it is about the memory? Because this problem occured LONG after I put my memory in.

15. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

No, mine was that way too though, it ran fine for a couple of years, then just started going crazy, and in turn driving me crazy, took me some time chasing every other thing around before I finally fixed it, I can only have the exact same configuration of sticks in my slots for it to run good, ie: all Kingston 256mb X 3, if I use different brands or sizes, it goes nuts!!! wierd, but true :confused:

16. Insomniac

The first two are for Norton Antivirus.

The first one is vital for Norton's operations, but the second one, cfgwiz isn't and can use heaps of resources. That is probably the most likely culprit.

Try unchecking it and reboot and see if that helps.

SndMon is for Norton's auto update feature and should be left alone.

CThleper is an interface for your soundcard and isn't vital. It's also been know to consume all your resources.

Lxsupmon is for your Lexmark printer and isn't vital at startup.

CTRegRun is to remind you to register your Creative soundcard and is not needed.

Msnmsgr is MSN Messenger. It's up to you whether to leave it at startup or not.

Do not go and uncheck the items I have suggested all at once.

Only do one at a time, reboot and see if it helps.

However, the ultimate goal is to have as few programs as possible starting with Windows, especially on an under-powered system like yours.

The programs, Process Explorer and AutoRuns are available for the download section here I think.

17. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Another interesting note about my memory troubles is that I only had this problem when running XP. I had 98 before and it never happened, and I have dual boot configuration and before I took the bad stick out, 98 still ran fine, but XP would go haywire! I had a different issue with 98 though, it has problems with more than 512mb of RAM :confused: I filled er up with 3 X 512mb sticks and nothing would run in 98, all my apps would just hang, I couldn't even copy a file! Anyway, good luck, hope you get it figured out :)

18. Insomniac

The problem with Windows 98 not liking more than 512 MB of ram is very common and easily fixed.

All you have to do is add to the [VCache] section of your win.ini file

MaxFileCache = 524288

19. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

it looks like you have alot of help now, i still think that you have too much starting up, and don't have alot of ram (which is pretty much what everyone is saying). anyway, see if this link helps you any, maybe you can decifer some of your startup stuff.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

fyi, i did my screen shot(s) by:
    have picture/page (whatever) i want to capture image up front (hit prt sc, by "F12" key), then paste into your image into your program (kodak imaging, etc.), edit/crop, and upload here. sometimes it just helps to see what's going on (us). - g/l sos

20. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

I am only running 256mb, pc133 right now and I have quite a bit of stuff running and my system runs fine, keeps right up with wife's alot newer PC :cool:

21. Primine

Primine Private E-2

I have cut down the start-up tab down to the basics. Should I do the same to services tab? I'm gonna try the memory thing tomorrow (I don't have a screwdriver here to open the case)

Even with no start up programs my computer still takes 10 minutes to shut down. Some process still won't close if the application had frozen and needed to be shut down. None of my programs can do an update yet. The program i2hub will still not open, although the process shows up in windows task manager.

If it's not the memory, does anyone else have an idea?

Attached Files:

22. Insomniac

Leave the services alone unless you really know what you are doing.

The startup tab looks good now.

What Service Packs if any are installed?

THIS may help with the shutdown issue.

23. Primine

Primine Private E-2

Insomniac if I'm reading that page right it looks like that problem should be corrected with Service Pack 2, which I have. Is there anyway that my service pack is missing the hotfix or what?

24. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

While I doubt that this will resolve your issue -it won't hurt as long as you are CAREFULL: Dissable un-needed services. -You can do this by going here http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

It really doesnt sound like this suggestion will solve your problem -but it may, at least, get you some time at start up, and/or, free up some resources.
    -Yours,

25. Primine

Primine Private E-2

I don't think I'm gonna start playing with services just yet... I have LOTS of resources, and my startup is pretty fast.

26. Insomniac

I supplied the Micro$$oft site as I did not know whether you had any Service Packs installed as your original post only said XP.

Anyway, if you have SP2 then that isn't likely to be the problem.

A couple of quick things to try are firstly, if you have an Nvidia graphics card then go into your Control Panel, Select Administrative Tools and then click on Services.

Double-click on the file "NVIDIA Driver Helper Service" and then select STOP.

In the drop-down box set it to manual, then click apply and O.K then reboot.

Also, have a read of THIS, it may help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds