A recommendation on Low Level Formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loninappleton, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

The DiskInfo program reported my Western Digital drive rated as "Caution" and then it failed.

I tried to reformat to NTFS through the Win XP install disk but it stalled out at 1 %. I tried this another way by attempting to clone the drive but that didn't work either.

Would a Low Level format revive the drive?

And in that regard I saw this from a google search:

HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

Is this a reliable tool? Else, what procedure does MG recommend?

Or is the drive just shot from a reading of "Caution" ?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Running the WD Data LifeGuard's extended test will give you a better idea of the condition of the hard drive. The HDD Guru Low level format tool is similar to using a data wipe utility. It is, however, very good.

3. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

A good reminder about Data Life tools. I have not gone through this in a long time. Ok, I'll start with the WD utility and see what it finds.

And I'm glad you are aware of HDD Guru whatevs.

Since a number of my drives were gotten used on the 'Bay one had sector errors that Ghost found. I then used Spin Rite which is supposed to be a cure all. Later I found Spin Rite uses a technique that can harm HDs more than it's worth. This too was some time ago. This drive may have been a victim of Spin Rite but can no longer sort it out.

4. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Datalife test turned up no errors at all.
    I then used the WD refresh MBR.

Then I thought I made a good bootable cd to use the HDD Guru Low Level Format prog.

I burned the disk in Nero but am getting the NTLD is missing error.

I will not run such a program on a good disk in Windows. But I did not see where the ISO version of HDD Guru is installed.

Does the 'install" version of the program rather than the .exe make a removable cd to run the program?

To cut down on time here I'll get the install version and look at that in the meantime.

5. zopfan

zopfan Private E-2

My laptop WD500 GB hdd suddenly went slow in many types of operations. And when I ran Windows 7 64bit, Disk Management tool, the same couldn't show any hard disks and got hung (only the tool got hung, not windows). Then I got a brand new WD 500 Gb hdd, installed fresh windows on it and nothing else. And then again I check Computer Management> Disk Management. And again the same result, the tool got hung up.
    And if I ran any other disk management tool, like Partition Magic, it didn't hung up, but was very very slow in presenting its interface initially. I ran all its modules one by one, and no module showed any error on disk.

What to do now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds