A simple question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dazedandconfuzed, Feb 9, 2010.

1. dazedandconfuzed

dazedandconfuzed Private First Class

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum...but I couldn't figure out which would be best. :confused

Here's my question. Over the years I've heard so many answers to the question...should the computer be turned off when not in use?

So I've come to the only place I trust for the definitive answer! :wave

Thanks to all who contribute their time and effort to help so many! I applaud you! :clap:clap:clap

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I personally use mine for folding, so on 24/7 unless down for a bit of maintenance.
    Others may disagree about this practice, but my machines,my call.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You'll hear arguments for always letting it on and arguments for always turning it off.
    I turn mine off at night. If I'm going to be away for an hour or two, I turn off the monitor but let the computer on only because the fewer watts used, the better.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Plodr's right, there is no right answer, just personal preferences.
    During lightning storm, it's off AND unplugged!:)

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

If you are a serious PC user gaming, folding etc MAYBE 24/7 is ok, but for a general pc user there is no need to leave it on all the time just so you can check the sports results a few minutes earlier.

Burrell

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Besides the wasted power as plod said nearly every device and component in a computer is designed to have a service life,some 10,000 hours some 60,000 hours,many transistors only have a guaranteed service life of 10,000 hours,in continuous usage terms that's 416 days just over a year,some components have a service life of 60,000 hours or 7 years ,CPU's have a minimum guaranteed service life of about 30,000 hours or 3 years.

Over here all electronic goods sold have to conform to this 30,000 hours continuous usage,if it fails they have to replace it with a new one by law.

So you have a pretty good chance of your computer lasting three years if you left it on all the time but after that who knows,it depends on the quality of components used to build the computer,if you buy a really cheap motherboard they won't have splashed out on expensive transistors that last a long time,that's why the motherboard is cheap.

In my opinion its a no brainer,turn it off when not in use.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The other side of the story is that each time the computer is powered on the components within it are stressed more than at idle, meaning that leaving it on stresses it less than turning it on and off.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

One of the age old questions that has been posted on tech forums since the dawn of time, is there a right or wrong....don't know as both arguments have merit and while I turn off when not using my personal pcs, I do leave my work ones on 24/7 and no ills have befallen both, main sort of argument these days is power consumption, not the hardware itself but the fact of leaving it on while not in use.

I was sent one of these from Webex for free (dont know if they still do, but I was trialling their remote software and just filled in a survey to get one) http://www.eco-button.com/uk/A3.10.about.htm this approach is worth trying as I haven't has yet.

9. BriJack

BriJack Guest

Not according to Jonathan Koomey, a project scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, who says, "PCs are not hurt by turning them on and off a few times a day." http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/how-much-juice-is-your-computer-using-at-night-145/ The useful life of a computer these days is only a few years anyway. The computer will become obsolete long before you wear it out, no matter how often you cycle it. Bottom line: Turn your computer off when you're done with it (or simply Sleep it), and don't worry about it.
    More detail here:
    http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers-questions.html#turnoff

And, as Rikky already said in a similar vein anyway: All devices eventually wear out after running for a long period of time. Keeping your computer on constantly means it's running three times longer than normal. This extra running time is at least as likely to wear out your computer as turning it off at night. For the monitor, it'll definitely wear out quicker by keeping it on rather than turning it off. It will just cost you a lot more in electricity to wear them out by keeping them on.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

LOL @ thread title!:-D I'm running my machines 24/7 and OC'd,and the components have never failed though I have built my own machines with quality parts and kept the temperatures down inside the case. Heck, I just gave away an 8 year old abused P111, mobo, RAM and video card to someone who was going to use it as a Linux server, I expect that it could last another ten years if taken care of properly.

Like the others have said, if you don't need the machine to do something then turn it off for the power savings. If you have a regular machine then expect power usage of around 180W. (three 60W light bulbs, incandescent and %95 heat loss).

Besides, if you live in the south or it's summer and you've got the A/C on then you're really spending a lot of money to cool the place on top of paying to keep the machine on creating heat. Up here, my machines keep my room warm with no need for supplemental heat from the electric radiator most of the spring and fall.

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well IMO it's simple, the longer it works, the shorter the life span.
    Turning on and off does have some effect much like a TV, electricity is pumped through and sometimes spikes when turning on.
    But I have yet to see a PC become damaged by either.

So like others said, it's personal preference.
    The only thing you should really factor is the power usage.

I turn mine off most nights unless I leave it doing something but this is only to conserve power.

I used to leave it on 24/7 as was my sons PC, I started insisting he switch his off at night and while at school and I switch mine off most nights.
    My electricity bill has dropped an average of $30 per month by switching them off at night.

12. augiedoggie

You can go better than that Ned! Pur your TV on a power bar and get either fluorescent or LED lights as they're fairly inexpensive now. I wonder how much power my machines suck up?

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Oh I use energy saver lightbulbs.
    I'm not a tree hugger, I just don't like paying for electricity lol

Edit:
    Both systems are med/high specs with 600w PSU's, I noticed the consumption went up when I upgraded them, pretty much at the same time.

14. augiedoggie

OK, then keep this in mind as I am a tree hugger, check my profile for pics of where I live.;)

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol I thought after I posted that if that might have been the wrong term.
    I do my bit, recycle and save where I can but I don't do it with saving the earth in mind.
    Maybe thats because I've been like that for years. Second nature now so I consider it no effort.

I always tell people, "If we had listened to the tree huggers back in the 60's/70's then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds