A tool for removing bad sectors from HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loninappleton, Nov 23, 2012.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I recently installed the IOBit defrag program on the tip here from Major Geeks.

Is there an MG recommendation for an HD program for bad sectors etc to improve performance?

I still don't want to mess with Cleaners; I'm too prone to making errors and deleting things I need.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

AFAIK there is no tool for removing bad sectors except a new hard drive.

3. goru8

goru8 Private E-2

You can use the defragment to your hard drive through the normal windows defragment. Though that's not the ultimate thing you have to check your hard drive. or else you have to change your hard drive.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , backup your data is the best tool :-D even you can download this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hard_Disk_Sentinel_d7520.html

inspecting the situation of your disk :wave

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Right click drive in my computer,error check,scan for bad sectors.

6. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

OK....

That just gives the chkdsk routine. I'm not going to do that now but I normally do it before a backup b/c Norton Ghosts demands I do so.

7. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I do backups frequently. Maybe this is just a misplaced question since I have no HD problems currently. I thought bad sectors could be flagged to be avoided but no guarantees on my memory being correct.

I have the Hirens suite of programs but some of those are flakey and I avoid them if they look too... how to say... old or amateurish. That's when you *really* need to run for the backup.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Windows does this automatically, you can't manually flag a sector bad yourself. Scan disk/check disk is the process of doing this.

9. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

ok.

topic answered. Thanks for your patience.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds