A very sticky problem .. can't load any antivirus

Discussion in 'Software' started by robsters1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. robsters1

robsters1 Private E-2

Would you believe it rolleyes I rolleyes have been trying to get an antivirus program to run for 2 days now. I'v cleaned this PC with your anti malware process, run other various malware programs but it seems to to have a lock on letting me run anything resembling an antivirus program. I can't even start in safe mode it just gets to m??? and reboots. Trying to reinstall windows gives me a bluescreen. but I'v checked the hardware and it runs ok in normal mode.

In device manager I have disabled one high definition audio device that was not working. Now I'm looking for a test program to check out all the hardware.. any ideas?

I have removed a number of minor trojans etc during the process.

This PC is for gamers and maybe one of the games has some smart ware installed somewhere but I can't find it!!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you done any online scans so if anything is still on, preventing you from running AV, they are cleaned out?
    What antivirus programs have you tried? What version of windows are you running?

3. robsters1

robsters1 Private E-2

I haven't even been able to get an online scan to work..I have BO clean running tho and it picks up odd trojans. If I try and do a reinstall I get a blue screen. So I'm currently trying to update the bios. As this machine has no cd rom I have been using a usb portable sony dvd rw

Antivirus programs include avast, avira, and a squared. they all load, but when you go to run them they open then after a few seconds they close. I can run advanced system care and tune up portable, but before I put this into use I'd like an antivirus to run. When you boot normally everything else seems ok.

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Some of the newer rootkits will cause this.

dr.m

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds