A Watercooling DIY

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by interceptor999, Sep 25, 2009.

1. interceptor999

interceptor999 Private E-2

I found this thread off google and This is awesome, BUT...I'm going to buy the water block since the socket 939 has good support and its cheap to get a good one.
    Zalman that i'm going to use

for my Radiator I found this, a Copper/Brass heater core for a 2005 E-450 Ford Van
    brand new heater core
    Best of all its got a year warranty:-D

for my Pump I think I might use a 480 gpm submersible pump...or if that flows way to much??? a 190gpm submersible pump
    Which one should I use?
    for a tank....you guys would live this one, LOL,
    Vlasic Dill Pickle Jar 2qt 1pt

and for a fan I'll use whatever is freakish large and does the job, with basic hose clamps and hose from the hardware store.

perhaps i'll even fill the jar full of ice?...lol

anything i'm forgetting?

Oh coolant! What should I use? Since the idea is to be cheap...I want it to be compatible with the pump and the copper i'm going to use.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved your post to its own thread as things may have changed since 2005 when that thread you posted in was first created here

3. interceptor999

Update....sorta, I think I found what might be a better water block?

Opinions wanted!
    Danger Den MAZE4 CPU Water Block I'd really like to hear about what you guys think....My cpu fan is driving me bonkers, its not happy unless its under 44c...lol I think this system I am throwing together might be able to at least cut 10* off my temps....possibly a lot more :p

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ditch the tank and use a T line. DDen makes good stuff. You might also want to look at the heater cores for the Chevy S-10 and the old Chevette. Nice size, and cheap, can't remember which one I got. :-D

5. interceptor999

The core has gotta be copper/bronze i'm not going to mix metals the big tank is mainly just so I can fill with ice on hot days *ice made from distilled water*

Oh and my idea is to make the cooling unit all contained inside a medium sized ice chest, it would blend in, and its insulated and durable so sound would be contained very well.

you got pics of your system?
    I tried looking stuff up on Google as I'm gathering idea's....I did notice that people are using old used heater cores....Thats one thing I will NOT skimp on, I do not want leaks, I got a kid in the house and two cats. so no fancy clear tubing or nifty looking hose clamps...lol

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have picts somewhere, will see if I can find them. Went back to air cooling a while back. Depending on the humidity where you are, ice can cause condensation, which is not good. If you have a decent sized case, with a little work, you should be able to get it all in the case using a t-line.

7. interceptor999

The case is pretty cramped with all my hard drives and video cards,there isn't any space left in there and what little there is is going to be filled with a fan controller.... So I'm taking advantage of the space and making the cooling system bigger then it has to be
    (Room to grow) Then when I build a new computer most of the system will be easy to swap over:)
    What should I use for coolant? distilled water and ??? *Price is a factor here*

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds