ABIT KV8 MAX3 brand new sys cannot recognize SATA in boot sequence

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SourDiesel, Jun 29, 2004.

1. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Private E-2

Hi, I seem to be having some problems with my new western digital SATA drive, I cannot get the thing to be recognized in the bios. When I start up the computer the drive shows up but when I press F4 or Ctrl+s to enter the Raid controller screen it says no device has been found. I tried to setup the raid controller by pressing F6 and I load all the drivers that came with the mobo but then windows does not recognize the drive. I have also downloaded the raid controller drivers from via and the Sil 3x12 with no luck.. Any help would be appreciated as I want to play some farcry on my new X800 ;

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"...when I press F4 or Ctrl+s to enter the Raid controller screen it says no device has been found."

Have you checked the connections? Made sure the data cable is plugged into the correct port? Does the drive have power? Can you hear it spinning up?

3. SourDiesel

SourDiesel Private E-2

Yes it is plugged in properly I do not believe i have heard it spinning up but it shows up when I turn on the computer just doesnt do anything when i press f4

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

You do have two sata HDD's?
    You said windows dont recognize sata, does that mean you have ata HDD with windows installed in the rig?

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

just to be certain, you are running the latest BIOS right?

for setup of the Silicon Image onboard controller (i believe this board has 2 controllers, therefore 2 different sets of drivers--depending on where you plug the HDD in.)

Advanced BIOS Features, under Hard Disk Boot Priority, set Onboard SATA RAID to first. (do not confuse with onchip SATA RAID, as that is the VIA chip.

Next go to Onchip PCI Devices, and be sure Onboard RAID controller is enabled, this is the SI controller (the VIA is under Onchip IDE devices)

download the Silicon Image 3114 SATA Driver from here http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=150

extract the files, open the 2kxp folder, and copy all files to a blank, formatted floppy. Now it should work when you load the SI SATA drivers through windows setup. IF you have the drive plugged into the SI SATA port.

if you want to use the VIA SATA ports, adjust for VIA drivers similarly. I am not sure which controller would be faster (if any) on your board.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds