Abit Post Code Error 7F

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maur123, May 31, 2006.

1. maur123

maur123 Private E-2

I built a new PC and am having a problem with the boot up. First one was a memory problem but that just turned out as a bad stick. Using a stick from a buddy until my RMA comes back and now am past the C1 stage but now it will run through everything, hit a 75 and then hang on a 7F. The monitor never gets any feed because the light just blinks as a no video feed. Could I be running some incompatible stuff? Here's what I've got so far. Let me know if you guys need some other info.

Motherboard - Abit NI8 SLI
    CPU - INTEL 805 D
    Memory - K-Byte 512 667 (borrowed from a friend to verify the first stick was bad)
    Vid Card - XFX GF6800XT 256M
    Hard Drive - 300G Seagate SATA2
    CD Drive - NEC DRW-NE-OND1100A
    PSU - ANTECSP-500 RET

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you tried pressing the <F1> key when you get the 7F error code?

If not try and see if the boot continues.

3. maur123

maur123 Private E-2

Yep, pressed the F1 key when the error code shows, tried holding the F1 key through the whole boot to that point, held the Insert key for the whole boot (read that in the mobo manual). I've cleared the CMOS a couple times, did get an error twice where the 0A (or was it A0) error showed up but the CMOS clear got rid of that.

Just kinda baffled at what else to do.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I think that the error may be due to the video card either having failed or trying to go into a mode it does not support. Apart from that I'm not sure I can help much more.

Good luck in getting it sorted. :)

5. maur123

maur123 Private E-2

K, I kinda thought it might be something with the vid card but wasn't sure. I've done some more searching and looks like there's a couple more power plugs I need to fill on the boards so maybe this will get it to work. I'll have more information tomorrow.

6. maur123

maur123 Private E-2

The mystery has been solved. After doing what I should have done first and step by stepped my way through the mobo manual (haven’t built a Intel or PCIe yet) . I found that I had neglected to put in the PCIe selector chip. Popped that baby in there and presto working PC! Well only bad thing is I’ll have to take it apart again and put on some better paste on the processor, runs pretty hot (45 C when idling) but at least its working and I won’t have to do any returns. Thanks for the ideas and help!

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Ah well as all of us have to do evetually and that's RTFM. :) ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds