ABOUT:BLANK Web Page

Discussion in 'Software' started by Uncle George, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Uncle George

Uncle George Private E-2

Most unusual problem occurs when I close a folder on my desk top - there is a short time lage and then I get an active blank web page with the address "about:blank". If I hit the home icon I go directly to my normal google.news home page. Since I usually don't want to be on the internet at the time, all I have to do is close the page to get off-line, but it is very frustrating.

For example, if I open and close the following d/t folders, I get the "about:blank" web page: My Docs; My Computer; My Network Places; Recycle Bin; Short-cut to Program Folder. It also occurs if I create an empty d/t folder and open/close it.

My O/S is Win XP-Home. I have run AdAware SE, Spybot S&D, CCleaner & RegCure to no avail.

Your advice would be most appreciated

2. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

3. wolfx28

wolfx28 Sergeant

4. Uncle George

Uncle George Private E-2

Thank you both for your replies.
    There is quite a bit to do so I may as well get started.
    Will report back when all OK.
    Thanks again.

5. Uncle George

Uncle George Private E-2

Thanks again, but your replies called for time and patience, where I am somewhat short on supply. Further, many of the listed responses were either contradictory or not applicable to Win XP.
    So I did this: ran the following free virus software, after ensuring that I had the latest updates: CWShredder; RegScrub XP; HSRemver; CCleaner; About:Buster; Ad-aware SE; SpyBot S&D; Hijack This; ADSSpy.
    Absolutely no luck with the above.
    The last try was the Winner: Adware Away. I ran the free download and it said I had a zillion problems but it would cost me $30 to register to have access to their problem solver. So the man with no time/patience paid the $30, ran the fix-it tool and guess what? No Fix - I still had the problem.
    BUT, AA has a customized service where you send their cust. svc. an email, explain the problem and enclose a copy of the detailed log that the program produces. Within 24 hours a tech contacted me with instructions to delete 3 lines in my registry. Voila, problem gone. I'm impressed with the customized service, even if it did cost me $30.

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I am assuming that you've tried changing the About Blank in the IE properties. If it will not/can not be changed that is a pretty good sign of malware. Just to be through, have you gone into Internet Explorer properties and tried changing it? Type the URL to replace about blank, click apply and OK. It this just doesn't work then it does sound like malware of some kind.

The next step is to go into our malware section, follow the read me first steps (most of which you've done already, but they'll want to post logs).

This forum is restricted, only you and an approved moderator can post in this thread (one you started). Sometimes it takes a while for them to get back with you, as they have day jobs and it is a busy area, but you will find these guys have incredible patience, and if you stick with it you will leave happy.

Good luck.

7. Uncle George

Uncle George Private E-2

Thanks Bill, but that is one of the 1st things I tried. So as you say, it was an indicator of malware. But all is well now, so that is all that counts. :)
    George

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds