About blank web page

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtu50, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jtu50

jtu50 Private E-2

Recently cleaned an infected computer for a friend. Uploaded all logs to MajorGeeks and was told logs are clean. Since then, when trying to open some links in email a blank window opens titled about:blank. This does not happen with every embedded link. Additionally, mouse pointer seems to "jump" around from time to time, even if not touched. I posted this at Malware forum, was told this was not a virus as logs were clean and was directed here. I have reinstalled IE6 sp1, without and change in behavior.

The computer in question is running Windows 2000, IE6 v 6.0.2800.1106. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Jeff R

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I would say that your first step would be to upgrade to IE7.

Second step would be to install firefox/opera and use them instead, since they work better and won't get you infected as easily. However, you should get IE working regardless since some websites won't work with anything other than IE.

3. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I looked closer, I guess Windows 2000 cannot use IE7? Try using the "reset advanced settings" and "reset all settings" on the last tab of internet properties. You should use both resets. Like I said before, you should consider using firefox/opera for normal use.

4. jtu50

jtu50 Private E-2

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try reset. However, IE6 worked fine until virus infection and repair. Would like to get things back to where they were if possible

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds