about deleting internet explorer exe.

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2freaky4church, Dec 16, 2004.

1. 2freaky4church

2freaky4church Private E-2

Hi, I was thinking about deleting the internet explorer exe file, because I have a new browser, since ie is tainted with spyware. Would deleting the exe hurt my internet surfing? Thanks.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

If you have win98SE and up do not delete IE it's part off the system
    if you delete BIG problem .....

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's not a good idea for XP either as it is hooked very deep in the OS. Anyways, you need IE for updates.

4. 2freaky4church

I have windows 2000 xp

5. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

So you have 2000 and XP so don't delete IE.

6. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Agree with others, IE should not be uninstalled...it is deeply coded in to Windows. Also Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer were designed to work together, separating them will bound to cause problems down the line....

Deleting the program folder or the iexplorer.exe is simply pointless and would not get it off of your system anyways...
    Leaving IE alone and using an alternative browser should be just fine. ;)

7. 2freaky4church

Yea, but the spyware will prompt it to open ads and banners on my yahoo dsl browser as well.

Does anyone know anything about this inqwire page?

8. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

NO, if your system is infected with spyware, that will happen if you did unsintall IE, also uninstalling IE wouldn't protect you against future infections either...
    Pop-up ads doesn't necessarily mean a serious spyware infection, on an XP system having the messenger.exe service enabled (not to be confused by Windows/MSN Messenger program) alone would and could enable remote sources to pop open ad banners, etc. Messenger is basically an informant, it was designed to pop open messages that were relating to processes that user initiated or (on a network)Domain/Workgroup Admins to message the users about this and that.
    Examples to both scenarios:
    user initiated = a print job, when sent/completed system popping a message on the screen informing the user that the print job was sent to XXX printer or that it was completed.
    Admin initiated = DM sending a broadcast message telling users to logoff/shutdown because of an emergency network maintenance that is about to take place, etc.

messenger.exe service is listed on the 'Services' list:
    START > RUN > services.msc > locate the messenger.exe, double-click on it and change its startup configuration to 'disabled'.
    If this still doesn't stop pop-ups then get ready for Chaslang or PhilliePhan!
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds