about ready to order a new computer--- HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CW3SF, Mar 14, 2006.

1. CW3SF

CW3SF Private E-2

Being almost 69years old and remembering my first "computer" was a sliderule(now in the smithsonian musium) you can see I am not a GEEK! What I love to do is to play games like LOCKON, CFS3, CIV4,Age of E.3, to name a few.

My "old" computer is a 2001 Dell model 8100 with a 1.8 P4, 256MB video card, and 1024MB of RAM working with Win home XP. Most the frame rates are slow to almost non-workable.

Looking to having a "custom" super hot rig assembled buy either Alienware, Monarch, or Falcon-nw ( any suggestions ). NO I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BUILDING MY OWN!!!!

I was almost ready to order and then the "dual core" incompatability issue with my favorate flight sim ( LOCKON) came to light--- witch thankfully led me to you guys----YEA!

Questions:
    1. Can the DOWNLOAD on your site be used to easly "switched off" the dual core while playing those games that need that and then easly "switched on" when going elsewhere or playing the new games?
    FYI-- plan to have a Athlon 64FX-60 ( or wait for CONROE), SLI with 2X Nvida 7900,s 512MB video cards, 4mb of corsair RAM, and use win XP Pro.

2. If I was to ask you folks to come up with a dream GAMING rig. (money no problem-- I either spend now or the kids get it later) would you help out. The real BIG THING is once I get it I want to play my games and spend all my time tinkering with "fix-it-like this" down loads and such!

THANKS CW3SF:) :)

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I dunno about the dual core issue.as far as a dream machine goes falcons are great, and the specs you have listed are the best you can get right now. one concern is that in about 6 months directX10 cards will eb out and windows vista, so within a year your top of the line video cards will be "just DX9" and DX10 will make a big dif when vista is released, just something to consider when you plan on spending $1000+ on video cards.oh, and I would go with more than 4mb of RAM ;)

3. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

another thing, if you want the ultimate gaming experience, dell has really nice and big LCD monitors:) what are you using now?

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

since price isn't an issue Alienware makes a very nice pc. Monarch is also good.Dell's have just too much bloatware in their systems for my tastes.Personally if it were me I'd go with a single video card.Just not enough out there that takes advantage of sli/crossfire . My 2 cents worth :)
    P.S. as far as dual core affinity problems I've heard they have a hotfix and registry tweak that solves that problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds