About Registry Cleaning...

Discussion in 'Software' started by HunterKiller_, Jul 21, 2007.

1. HunterKiller_

HunterKiller_ Private E-2

I have done a search, didn't really find exactly what I'm looking for.

Just a couple of days ago, I installed a reg cleaner and used it.
    Being the noobie that I am, I just scanned and auto-deleted the roughly 600 errors. Rebooted, and needless to say, there were big problems, and I decided to just format.

Now I'm going to careful and clean up my PC regularly, but it's so complicated with registry cleaning. The errors that come up make no sense to me whatsoever, how do I know which ones to delete?
    There's stuff like "ActiveXCOM Issue propSet.Propset1 (insert lots of random numbers and letters".
    How do I know if I'm suppose to delete these kind of things?

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Yep, a powerful cleaner can do mucho damage to the un-knowing.

I would start with CCleaner. It is a registry and drive cleaner and is the most popular. It doesn't dig real deep so no fears of crippling your machine when deleting errors found. I run it the every day.
    CCleaner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

This one is more aggressive in finding errors but it will warn if you may want to think twice about deleting something. I run it once a week or every other week or so.
    Wise Registry Cleaner:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Wise_Registry_Cleaner_d5437.html

This one is the same as in it is a little more aggressive and also gives warnings. I run it every other week or so.
    Wise Disk Cleaner:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Wise_Disk_Cleaner_d5436.html

3. HunterKiller_

I did just install CCleaner.
    So it's safe to delete all errors found by CCleaner?

4. evilfantasy

When you open CCleaner check all of the boxes except Advanced, unless you know what you are deleting in there. Click Analyze and it will show a log of everything found. Probably a lot of C;documents and temporary files and so on. Or just click Run Cleaner and it will go by itself.
    I have never had any problems when just clicking Run Cleaner.

After that (top left) click the Issues button and it will open the Registry cleaner. I have everything checked on that. Click Scan For Issues and it will do the scan. You can look at the things found and un-check anything you are not comfortable deleting. Once the scan is done you can click Fix Selected Issues you will then be prompted to back up the registry and save the file to wherever you choose. Save that just in case something isn't running right after.
    Honestly I have never had any problems with deleting everything CCleaner finds and never back up the registry anymore. It is the safest cleaner out there.

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

"Honestly I have never had any problems with deleting everything CCleaner finds and never back up the registry anymore. It is the safest cleaner out there."

Yep,your right.Run CCleaner for 2 year,no problems at all.

6. HunterKiller_

Great, thanks guys.

I've downloaded Wise Reg Cleaner, too.
    It found about 200+ errors (only a couple of days after reinstalling Windows x.x) - much more than CCleaner.
    It has the option of cleaning 'safe to fix' errors. Is this really safe?
    I can't do it manually as there are about 200 entries. =S

7. evilfantasy

I use the safe to fix option in wise cleaner. Not brave enough to fix all.
    I have been a victim of over aggressive cleaners myself so know your fears.rolleyes

8. HunterKiller_

I've cleaned up all entries in CCleaner and all safe entries in Wise Reg - No problems! Yay! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds