accesing the hidden share of the c drive on a xp home machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by taz55, Jun 20, 2006.

1. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

ok is this possible. on all windows 2000 and xp pro machines you can go \\compname\c$ and see the c drive can you do this on a xp home machine. the print$ works but i cant get the c$ to do it. anyone have any suggestions.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Don't you have to establish permissions on both machines?

3. taz55

yes you do and i have it. that is what i cant understand.

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Can you see them via My Computer? Right click, Manage and check the Share Folder for Shares.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Map the drive.

6. taz55

nope maping the drive doesnt work.

as for the my computer thing. i can see my own shares only.

7. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I believe the account must have Administrator privileges.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Definitely! You either have to be a local admin on the machine, or have higer domain-level privledges, which you wouldn't get in XP home, as it cannot join a domain. Have you created an admin account on that machine with the same name that you are using on the remote machine?

9. taz55

no i havent. is there a way to make that acount but have it not visible to the useres on the machine.

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm... the best I can think of would be to deny access to the user accounts dialog. This would keep your admin account transparent, but the change would be obvious if anyone tried to access the dialog. The file is: %systemroot%\system32\nusrmgr.cpl To deny access to it, please do the following:

1. Right-click the file
    2. Select 'Properties'
    3. Select the 'Security' tab (if you don't have this, post back)
    4. For each user you want to block, uncheck everything in the 'Allow' column
    5. Apply your settings.

This will keep the users you don't want changing these settings out. This is probably the best method, unless you want to try using the non-native group policy editor (gpedit.msc), or mucking about in the registry, which by rule of thumb, is a bad practice, unless you're certain of what you're doing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds