access a web site

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arunmathi, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Arunmathi

Arunmathi Private E-2

How to aceess a web site and send some data from one computer to another computer. Both the comp are in different LAN.:)

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Are you talking about just file transfers?...

In a corporate environment?... Juniper makes some nice SSL VPN products that would probably work well. (http://www.juniper.net/)

In a home environment?... How about something like GoToMyPC? If your home router can do port forwarding, you could also think about something like Remote Desktop or SSH.

3. Arunmathi

Arunmathi Private E-2

If a computer in a network has some some web pages loaded in it. This computer also has some report generated by an application.

How can a person from any other network have an access to those web pages and make certain updation in the report so generated????

4. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

I'm still not 100% certain I understand what you are asking. If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you have an internet facing web server hosting a website and you want to update the code from the backend remotely. If that's the case, this sounds like a corporate environment and I'd recommend a Juniper box. Assuming the web server is in a DMZ, the Juniper appliance would also go into the DMZ. Then you'd need to configure the firewall to NAT the Juniper box to the outside world and allow 443 inbound to that appliance. You can then access a file share on the web server securely through the VPN or RDP through the VPN appliance. Juniper provides nice auditing logs with Syslog feeds. If you have Citrix in house, that would be another secure channel, but I'm not familiar enough with Citrix to advise on that topic. If it's a single point to a single point (site-to-site) in more of a home environment (or small business), D-Link makes a cheap IPSec router that might also work for you... DI-804HV or DIR-130. Just be aware that I believe the DI-804HV may have been discontinued and the DIR-130 doesn't exactly have rave reviews from what I've seen. I've played with the DI-804HV--it worked okay in the testing I did but I wasn't overly impressed.

Other readers may have better suggestions...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds